• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Pogo708

OpenGL Moving up from SDL to OpenGL....

This topic is 5048 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Can someone point me in the direction of some tutorials to make the step up? I couldn't find any, they all used these wierd external libraries. Thanks.

Advertisement
Well the best right now for OpenGL is NeHe. However, you can use OpenGL through SDL. If you have the time, you can take a look at my little article comaring SDL to another OpenGL graphics library. I think it contains a lot of useful info you could use and consider if you are intrested in game programming. Other neat sites include UGP and Apron.

- Drew

1. They have an online version of "The Blue Book" ,which is a great reference, atOpenGL.org

2. The world famous NEHE at nehe.gamedev.net

3. The once mighty gametutorials at gametutorials.com now chargest money for its more advanced tutorials, but iirc its begginer tutorials are still free

4. A nice site that may one day beat out nehe, i like it quit a bit as it has some more advanced tutorials as well http://www.ultimategameprogramming.com/Tutorial.php?category=OpenGL&page=1

all of those places should serve you well, i do, however, suggest you start with NEHE, but DO NOT FOLLOW THEIR DESIGN PATTERN, having said that, happy coding :-)

EDIT: wow i took way too long to type that, got beaten by a whole 6 minutes... O_o

hope that helps
-Dan

i suggest accessing opengl through sdl (its what i do)
heres another site
http://www.codesampler.com/oglsrc.htm
i just downloaded one of the files seems to unfortunatly use win32, so it mightnt be the best for learning

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!