Sign in to follow this  

Octree/Frustum Culling and (.obj) files

This topic is 4687 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi! I will start doing my own 3dengine and will like to start by a static scene with several objects imported from (.obj) files. For that i want to build an Octree with a View Frustum Culling. I´m in a MAC G4. I try the glm library of Nate Robins to import my objects but i´m having some problems. Do you any other nice loader for this purpose? I want to work at polygon(triangle) level in the Octree. Do you which is the better approache to use an Octree with Frustum Culling to reach the best frame rate? Thanks for any suggestion!!

Hi,

I don't know if this will be much use to you, but if you are just working with triangles then the .obj format is relatively simple(compared to other 3d file formats) and can be loaded with a simple text parser.

Here is a link to a specification for an obj file. It's pretty long winded and much of it you won't need. Another idea is to get some obj files and have a look at them in notepad, you'll get an idea for how simple the format is.

So my suggestion really is that if other loading routines are not working you can try writing your own, it will give you a bit more insight into what is happening, and maybe you can fix the problem with the octrees also.

Thanks a lot!!
I read the link you give me. Very interesting...and a good news .. I already import the .obj files with the glm library. I t was a problem about linking C and C++ files. It´s already fix.
I will like that you or anyone else can give some tips about the structure of the 3dengine with Octree and Frustum Culling at polygon(triangle) level that I want to implement to reach high frame rate.
Thanks a lot for your help!!

This topic is 4687 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.