"Visual C++ 6.0" or "Visual C++ .NET" ???

Started by
18 comments, last by Miserable 19 years, 2 months ago
Quote:Original post by izzo
I'm not sure what you mean by overhead. I guess you're talking about UI overhead, because .NET has nothing to do with your program code if you're coding in straight C++, unless you choose to use it.

you are correct, i meant ui overhead. but if you ignore all the other
Visual C++ projects and just use Visual C++ Projects->Win32->Win 32
Project, it's virtually the same as VS6.

Quote:Original post by izzo
I've never had any troubles with loading VS6 projects in VS.NET..

try compiling the Serious Sam source code with VS.NET and you
will get some template related errors and some casting errors
from their some of their inline code. also, some of these game
SDKs use MFC 4.2 as a shared DLL, and VS .NET comes with MFC 7.1.
i was just ranting that when you need VS6, it comes in pretty
handy :). it's far from being useless.
Advertisement
Rather than use an expensive C/C++ IDE, "VC++", you can also use a free C/C++ IDE, "DevC++"

I might use DarkBASIC or BASIC than C/C++ to make games, it's easier to use than C/C++, but C/C++ is the most Advanced Programming Language nowday. But, I recommend for all newbie to use DarkBASIC or maybe BASIC(VisualBasic) for the first time programming.
i just installed .NET on my machine (.NET 2002) and i am trying to set up an openGL app through the console so i can use GLUT and some other non-propeitary stuff. when i look at the VB project it has an option for the console, that same with C#. but with C++ i dont see a console option all, only a win32 project. how do you set up an openGL console app in .NET?
heh
Use win32 project. The wizard will then let you choose between a DLL, a static library, a windows and a console app.
[edit]
Alternatively you can just have a look at the manual...
Anyone else repapered their workspace with all the gimmicks that usually come with the VC++ boxed versions? [smile]
[/edit]
thanks rookie..
heh
Use Visual Studio 2003 .NET for everything .. period. It has so many less bugs than Visual Studio .NET (2002) and Visual Studio (Visual C++) 6, that I can't even express how much less frustration I get while using it ... (although it still has bugs and frustration, just a lot less).

Now whether you want to use strait C++, C++ with .NET or C# wiht .NET ... that's a whole different decision, and you can really choose whatever you feel comfortable with.

Personally I use C# for most .NET windows app stuff I do, and strait C++ for most game library type stuff I do - but that's just me and largely based on my development history (and love for C++ templates).

Even though I don't use C++ with .NET very often, I totally disagree that said C++ is not meant to be used with .NET. In fact, in the 2005 version of .NET C++ will catch up to C#/VB.NET in the realm of clean code, and both of those languages will change enough that each will have a distinct flavor for you to choose, while all 3 are quite complete when it comes to the 95% of features people actually use (personally I hate VB, but it really is a complete langauge with its own tradeoffs now).
Quote:Original post by Xai
Even though I don't use C++ with .NET very often, I totally disagree that said C++ is not meant to be used with .NET.

I never meant to say that .NET isn't meant to be used with C++. I only meant that its not recommended unless you have a good reason. If you want to write a .NET application, but have C++ code you want to reuse, thats a good reason. Wanting to use C++ templates in a .NET application is another good reason because .NET doesn't support generics yet. My point, however, is that if you are a new developer that doesn't know C++ and you want to write .NET applications, there probably isn't much reason to use C++ over C#, which is much cleaner. Even Microsoft admits this, and advises that new applications that don't use existing C++ code be developed in C# or VB. Microsoft is trying to fix this in the next version, and I hope that they succeed. But, until a release-quality version of VS2005 is available, I would not use C++ to write code for .NET unless I had a specific reason to do so.
If you can afford it, go with Visual Studio.

From personal experience, I strongly recommend against Dev-C++ as an IDE. Parinya MinGW Developer Studio is much more solid.
____________________________________________________________AAAAA: American Association Against Adobe AcrobatYou know you hate PDFs...
Quote:Original post by Nilhanth
Which version is best for simplicity and quick proramming?

Neither. For simplicity and quick programming, you'll want Python, not C++. That said, if you're dead set o learning C++, the only reason you might ever want to use Visual Studio 6 is if you're broke and someone gives it to you. And even then, there would be better alternatives.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Quote:Original post by Fruny
For simplicity and quick programming, you'll want Python, not C++.

Damn it, how could I forget to mention this? I must have forgotten my Python fanboy hat.

That said, seconded.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement