Sign in to follow this  

Slightly Altering Polygon Appearance ?

This topic is 4689 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys, I'm using D3D for my 2D game and everything is working nicely. I have some pieces on the screen (they are rectangular) and I make them 'float' a little, just moving them back and forth a few pixels so they don't look so static; I was wondering what a good way would be to slightly alter their appearance as they move a little. I can't think of anything cool. Maybe I can set up a global light that will illuminate all the pieces on the screen, then when they move a little they will be lit just a little bit differently, does that sound like a good idea ? Also, I'm pretty new at Direct3D and was wondering where I should start with cool, simple effects; should I look into stencil buffers, maybe the HLSL ? All I can do right now is stuff with the alpha map, like shadows and making cool particles, but some stuff I have no idea where to start. Any ideas ? Thanks.

I would definately recommend looking into shaders (HLSL is a good place to start). Once you get the hang of that then you might come up with some nice ideas as to how to make your 'floaty' things more interesting -- I know that's what happened to me. As soon as I got the shaders down I couldn't stop with the cool effects [wink]
Try and start with just a simple lighting tutorial using a just vertex shader. After that try and adapt it to use a pixel shader. The more you can try and figure out yourself the better you will understand how to use them, and the more interesting the effects you can come up with will be.

Good luck. Feel free to ask questions, were all friends here ;)

This topic is 4689 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.