Using Liquid Nitrogen to Freeze Water

Started by
68 comments, last by grhodes_at_work 19 years, 1 month ago
Plaster - use some sort of plaster to fill up the lakes :)
or - jump across
//~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~I'm looking for work
Advertisement
All you need is one microscopic crystall of Ice 9 ! [cool]

[Edited by - Dmytry on February 14, 2005 7:43:16 AM]
buoyancy anyone?

Everything is better with Metal.

Quote:Original post by oliii
buoyancy anyone?

nice idea but it's not allowed to tuch the bottom of the lake. There's no possible way a 5 pound robot could displace enough water to float since entire "lake" is only about 6 pounds and 3 inches deep (bloody kg vs pounds). It would have to be almost as big as the lake itself. In real life, bouyancy would be the only real option of course (that or crawling across the bottom or going around).
At construction sites people use some kind of foam which hardens after a while. They use it to fill the gaps between windows and walls, but maybe it could be used to make a bridge. I believe that the foam floats, so maybe it could work with deeper water too.

You could also try to find information about bridge-laying tanks. They are pretty impressive.
On more serious ice nine - related note, add some chemical to water that turns it into strong enough gel... or use some hard glue that float.

(or better yet, make pathfinding software as you'll anyway have other obstacles to avoid)
make a helicopter robot

i'll also vote for the pathfinding solution
I wonder how strong of a blower you'd need to make a hovercraft/skirt style lift system. Havign this could replace basically anything else you have for steering,wheels and such too. Might end up being lighter.
You could still steer by fan, small obstacles wouldnt be much of a problem, steering would just take practice, water and such would be easy.

You'd have to paint it like the purple car from F-Zero though, only then would it be cool.
I've never tried it, but my guess is that if your robot poured liquid nitrogen into the water, the liquid nitrogen would explode and empty the lake. Then there would be no ice to cross over.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
Give it really long legs, so it can walk over. :D
[s] [/s]
I can see the fnords.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement