Chess rules problem

Started by
11 comments, last by uckevin111 19 years, 2 months ago
Quote:Original post by uckevin111
You also must check the square the rook currently is on because you cannot move your king into check.

That doesn't follow; the king does not end up on the space where the rook used to be. It simply moves two spaces towards the rook.
Advertisement
You must check the squares between the rook and the king to make sure they are not in check because you cannot castle through check (there are 2 or 3 squares, depending on which side the rook is on).

No. The king allways moves two squares, no matter wich castle you do.

You also must check the square the rook currently is on because you cannot move your king into check. So that would be a total of 4 or 5 squares, depending on which rook it is.

No and no. The king never goes to where the rook is, no need to check it.

Check oficial rules anywhere you like please. Allways 3 squares to verify:

* actual king's position
* square the king will cross
* final square

The fact that rook is actually under attack is irrelevant
In long castle, the fact that the square adjacent to rook is under attack is irrelevant.

For short castle:
R..K -> .KR. -> NCCC (C means must be checked, N means it doesn't matter)

For long castle:
R...K -> ..KR. -> NNCCC

Hope it helps
_______________________The best conversation I had was over forty million years ago ... and that was with a coffee machine.
LOL... I was way off. Ok, sorry guys, you are right. For some reason I was thinking the king moved to where the rook was. I haven't played chess in years!

Thanks for explaining. Once you guys reminded me the king only moves 2 squares it all made sense :).

- Kevin

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement