Sign in to follow this  
foskco81

starting c++ game development

foskco81    122
hi, i would like to start c++ and game development in c++. I have no experience in c++ but i know a bit of visual basic (working on some at the moment). I read in a few threads down that vc++6 is out of date and such, I do have dev-c++. should i know the basics of c++? If so could anyone direct me to some good basic tutorials? also any advice on anything in c++ would help alot. thanks Justin

Boder    938
As someone had pointed out to me before, note that the tutorials are a bit dated. They use the old C++ header files.

// my first program in C++

#include <iostream.h>

int main ()
{
cout << "Hello World!";
return 0;
}

Hello World program should look like this

// first program

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main(int argc, char** argv)
{
cout << "Hello World";

return 0;
}

Liam M    223
Alot of the programming tuts on the net are dated, and its annoying because its teaching people bad habbits and sloppy coding practices, and people get frustrated because stuff doesn’t work later down the line and they just give up learning C++.

foskco81, if you dont mind spending money (its inevitable anyway), and your serious about programming, id reccomend buying a copy of "accelerated C++", its a good book and it teaches you skills which are useful and eisily applied (and it makes an excellent reference).