• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Suppressing/disabling console window in SDL?

This topic is 4072 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey all, I'm wondering if it's possible to disable the console window that SDL automatically creates in Windows. I'm working on a shareware application using the library, and I don't want to confuse users with a second "useless" window. Is it possible to start SDL via a WinMain function, and if so, are there some examples out there? Appreciate it, - carb

Advertisement
SDL overwrites winmain if you link SDLmain.lib in your project and also set your project as a "Windows" rather than "console" project

Quote:
Original post by Kelly G
SDL overwrites winmain if you link SDLmain.lib in your project and also set your project as a "Windows" rather than "console" project

In further explanation, if you use Dev-CPP, create a "Windows Application" or change the current project to "Win32 GUI". The WIN32 GUI is in the Project-Project Options->General Tab.

Note that you will still use the same code! Your main function will still be:

int main(int argc, char* argv[])

Even though you are using a Win32 App. If you use Visual Studio, you must create a "Win32 Application" and use that instead of the "Win32 Console Application". Once again, your code will be the exact same! That's all there is to enabling/disabling that console window really. The SDLmain.lib main replaces the WinMain as Kelly has said.

- Drew

There has to be a way to disable this with a Preprocessor definition or something. I too have built an SDL application with VC++ 2005 and have the console that I can't get rid of.

I've even copied over the preprocessor defs from a new Win32 application but I still get a console.

Does anyone know how to disable this within an already existing project?

I would think that the start function for a GUI subsystem exe would need to be changed from WinMain to main. Perhaps there is a configuration dialog that allows for making the change?

Quote:
Original post by Lazy Foo
When you created you SDL project did you remember to set it as a Win32 Project and not a console one?

No, and I don't create a new project and dump everything in to it. I found out how to change this problem anyhow.

If you are using VC++ 2005, you can change it from a Console to Win32 app by doing this:

Project > Properties > Linker > System > SubSystem (change to /SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS)

I appreciate the quick feedback.

EDIT: For some reason, at first it seems to make more sense to make a "console" project. Once you realize the console will not go away it becomes a problem.

EDIT 2: After changing my project to a Win32 project and recompiling, I noticed a significant decrease in FPS wile in windowed mode. In fullscreen, the fps is the same as before. Anyone else notice any performance hit?

EDIT 3: Ignore edit #2. Problem was totally unrelated to console/window.

[Edited by - Maxamor on December 28, 2006 4:58:40 PM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement