• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Game devs and languages

This topic is 4758 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm aware that this might start a flame war, but, what do the most firms use to develope games? As I'm working with C++, and starting to get my head raped around some of it, and I now find out the school i will continue on, uses Java for their basic stuff. I'm just wondering a few basic ups and downs in game dev with Java or C/C++...

Advertisement
It does depend on what platform you're targetting, but you'll be pretty sorted if you stick with C/C++. At the very worst (a company doesn't use it) a knowledge of C/C++ will make learning other languages easier.

On the other hand, if you can't hack C/C++ now (i couldn't when I first started programming), learning any language (e.g. Java) will make it possible for you to pick up C/C++ a bit easier later on.

Java is probably more heavily used in the mobile arena - games for phones and all that jazz. I can't say I know much about that though.

The bigger question is probably about the API's that are used... developing for PC's and/or consoles can be quite different. OpenGL, PS2-whatever-its-called and DirectX are all fairly different in the conceptual style/design.

hth
Jack

Yes, been working a bit with OpenGL... And personally find C/C++ to be a very good tool to make just about anything... And I use Windows/Linux, and will probably stick to those platforms when programming, if I can... (never say no to a good job ey?)

Thanks for fast reply :)

anyone know more about Java?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement