Game devs and languages

Started by
1 comment, last by DarkWolf AS 19 years, 2 months ago
I'm aware that this might start a flame war, but, what do the most firms use to develope games? As I'm working with C++, and starting to get my head raped around some of it, and I now find out the school i will continue on, uses Java for their basic stuff. I'm just wondering a few basic ups and downs in game dev with Java or C/C++...
Advertisement
It does depend on what platform you're targetting, but you'll be pretty sorted if you stick with C/C++. At the very worst (a company doesn't use it) a knowledge of C/C++ will make learning other languages easier.

On the other hand, if you can't hack C/C++ now (i couldn't when I first started programming), learning any language (e.g. Java) will make it possible for you to pick up C/C++ a bit easier later on.

Java is probably more heavily used in the mobile arena - games for phones and all that jazz. I can't say I know much about that though.

The bigger question is probably about the API's that are used... developing for PC's and/or consoles can be quite different. OpenGL, PS2-whatever-its-called and DirectX are all fairly different in the conceptual style/design.

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Yes, been working a bit with OpenGL... And personally find C/C++ to be a very good tool to make just about anything... And I use Windows/Linux, and will probably stick to those platforms when programming, if I can... (never say no to a good job ey?)

Thanks for fast reply :)

anyone know more about Java?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement