buildings and VBOs

Started by
2 comments, last by zedzeek 19 years, 2 months ago
I've used VBOs for my terrain - so the buffers contain all the vertices etc in the terrain. Now I was thinking about doing the same for the town I'm creating. Basically the houses are going be plain dull ordingary cube shapes with different textures on top of them. So I have a number of options: 1. simply stuff the house cube into a display list and call this display list for each house with a different size and textures. 2. use VBOs. although it would seem a bit silly to use a different buffer for each house as this would take up lots more memory. In addition I can't think of a way using VBOs that is quicker/easier than point 1 to render a house. What could I put into the VBO to do all this ? cheers Ade
Advertisement
Point .1 seems to be the fastest. VBO is best with huge chunks of geometry, so to speak.

On the other hand.. if you use one texture for all the houses (your card probably supports 4096x4096) and put ALL the houses, transformed correctly etc, into one VBO so you can draw ALL houses with one draw-call, that would be even faster, but is it worth the extra work? :) It would take more video-memory as well, and the speed-gain shouldn't be extreme...

Good luck!

cheers that was what i was looking for.
if the houses are indeed cubes ie 8/24verts each (provided they share the same state) then ild stick them inside a single DL/VBO (even with the case that 90% are offscreen, i believe itll still be quicker just making the single draw call)

edit -(different textures) <- just saw that, forgot what i said, u will need different draw calls

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement