In Need Of BASIC!

Started by
44 comments, last by Brandon N 19 years, 1 month ago
Please can you guys help me? Im not very experinced in Programming,so i want to learn how to with the BASIC PL,but i cant find nothing on it :( (strange) And another thing. How do you make a Programming Language? Like if i take BASIC and make it better!(Faster,add more stuff,make it OOP) Thanx guys.(and gals) :)
Advertisement
I recommend you to use DarkBASIC [ http://darkbasic.thegamecreators.com/ ]

By The Way,
What do you mean guy ? Do you want to make a "Programming Language" like BASIC, and C++ ? That is very hard, tough learn C++ is hard, what about making C++ ?
Try Basic4gl
www.basic4gl.net
Its easy and comes with help plus the peaple on the forums from my experiance are friendly and on the homepage you can download the source for it so you can tweak it and make it faster if you know how.
Quote:Original post by SlingShot3D Creator
How do you make a Programming Language?
Like if i take BASIC and make it better!(Faster,add more stuff,make it OOP)

First you will need to specify the exact grammar of your language en detail, e.g. using Backus Naur Form notation.
Then, depending on how much time and effort you want to spend, you either use some tools to build your parser and compiler or you do it yourself ([lol]) and start reading Let's Build a Compiler! (aka 'The bible of compiler programming').
Since I shamelessly assume you have no prior knowlegde on topics like context-free languages and -grammars (some info) I can only warn you about trying to build your own programming language. This is a very difficult and involved task that you will most likely not be able to complete in a reasonable amount of time without further years of study. Nevertheless, I won't hold you back from proving me wrong [smile]. Start with links I provided - they contain very good resources on the topic (either directly or via included links).

Good luck!
Pat.

[edit]
BASIC is a very friendly language to build an interpreter/compiler for. You should actually try it out if you really want to - it's fun!
[/edit]
This might sound stupid but..........

To make a Programming Language i need to know how a programming language works and to know how it works i need to know how to use it and to know how to use it i need to learn it and to learn it i need books and to get books i need money and to get money i need to work for it and to work i need a job and to get a job i need to be 18 and to be 18 i need to wait till december.

IF THATS TRUE

Then im F*****!!!

Well any good books for me?Really good ones please help me.
(I saw the book page but i need books that i know are good so i need opinions)

Thanx GDev Community!
qBasic???
I learned it with just the help file...
"Are you threatening me, Master Jedi?" - Chancellor Palpatine
if all you want to do is program for fun do basic, if you ever want to do serious programming do python (www.python.org). basic gives bad habits, python doesnt. I did blitz basic for 2 months before I did c++, whenever I needed help I was told "clean up your code, it will help you", I have gotten rid of all my bad coding habits I got from basic, but it took 7 months. python is what you are looking for. after you get comfortable with python do c++ or java.
I would say go with freeBasic if you want to learn to make games for Windows using BASIC. It's pretty much Visual C with the syntax of QB. Very fun tool to play with! Visit these pages to learn more:

www.freebasic.net <--- this is where you get the command line compiler
www.freebasic.tk <---- this has forums to freeBasic
www.hot.ee/fbide/ <---- this has an IDE for freeBasic, and the IDE comes with
freeBasic if you download the right one. Very useful!

Good luck, and have fun.
Use Blitz basic it's imo the best programming language slanted towards game dev for beginners, and it does give some nice coding habits since it's feels more c-like than Basic like.

It does not really mather for a beginner what the language is when it comes to learn coding habits, since this is something you gradually learn.
Create nice looking and apealing code can even be done in good old basic.

I've been programming in C/C++/Java/Pascal for over 3 years and began with Blitz 3d like 5 months ago and it really is amazing to see what you can do with this language if you really spend time on it.

I have just made my fourth complete game, and have two more on the go! Have been developing six 2-D Arcade retro-games in parallel for the last three months! No sleep here! ;)

So give Blitz try, highly recomended for anyone! :)
Free Classic Arcade Games by Blitzway Games
although it isnt likely you will listen to me, do python, it is far more powerfull but still easy.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement