EAX

Started by
3 comments, last by RockyRacoon 19 years, 2 months ago
Hello! I'm trying to do some audio programming for a game myself and a few friends are doing and I've managed to get hold of an outdoor atmospheric sound file. The sound is actually split into 6 .aif files 1.front left 2.center 3.front left 4.back right 5.back left 6.sub-woofer I was thinking about using DirectSound3D to position each sound using vectors but I was wondering if anyone knows of a better way to do this? Maybe use EAX? I cant seem to find any DirectX - EAX programming articles or help, so if anyone could point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful! Cheers
Advertisement
Bare in mind it's been a while since I did any DS3D work [smile].

Quote:I was thinking about using DirectSound3D to position each sound using vectors but I was wondering if anyone knows of a better way to do this?

That has worked fine for me before - and my take on the whole DS3D thing is that it is also the intended way of doing it.

However, I don't think you can specify the "sub-woofer" component. Even then, to my knowledge, the Sub is usually an ambient omni directional source (my 5.1 DVD decoder says this). Maybe playing it from [0,0,0] (head relative) will suffice though.

Quote:Maybe use EAX?

Doesn't EAX underpin DS3D, and is Creative specific extension?

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Cheers man!

I'll have a go at it once I get the files into work (they're about 600mb! Damn uncompressed files :)

I know this might sound a bit trivial but what do you mean by

"Doesn't EAX underpin DS3D, and is Creative specific extension?"

Do you mean DS3D is based on EAX? And what is Creative specific extension?

Thanks again for your help!
Saved me loads of googling hours :)
Quote:I'll have a go at it once I get the files into work (they're about 600mb! Damn uncompressed files

I'm hoping you've got a beefy system and sound card to be streaming in that much audio data [smile].

Quote:Do you mean DS3D is based on EAX? And what is Creative specific extension?

Not quite, I meant that (as I understand it) DirectSound3D is an abstraction of EAX. That is, EAX runs underneath it (and many features are directly translated), but it isn't fixed to being EAX.

For example, Creative (from reading this) invented EAX (Environmental Audio eXtensions?) so is potentially vendor specific (but I'm pretty sure they licence out the technology to other vendors). Whatever the old Aureal Vortex API extensions were called are another extension. Don't think they exist now though [smile].

DirectSound3D, as an abstraction to the underlying hardware allows you, the programmer, to write your software and have it run on more hardware without having to write different code for each specific (similar) API set.

That is my take on it, and is a similar concept that runs through all the DirectX components. I might be slightly out on the details though...

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Ah,

Right, I get it. Really helpful info there. Helps to get my head around all this stuff! :)

I hope my computer doesnt explode when I give it the files now tho!

Cheers man,
Much appreciated

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement