OpenAL Audio Library Testing [Update 6]

Started by
6 comments, last by Drew_Benton 19 years, 2 months ago
Update 6: Project and documentation updated and now uploaded. Take a look at the documentation to see some of the changes. The most recent updates include making sure to use the DirectSound3D device first, then the default. On one test with a SB Live, the ceaative device did not work with OpenAL. I am still in need of some more testers if there is anyone left intrested. I have recently completed *six* updates as you can see and will continue to work on this project. I have managed to get the file download to 488kb (used to be over 2MB!). I have had one rare case that the program just did not work at all. If this happens and you are still intrested, the reason is because of something with MFC and your computer [lol]. I have a simple console version avaliable that plays an .ogg file, but it is as boring as dirt. Nevertheless, you can still see if it works [wink] I have had great testers so far. Thanks guys! I have found a lot of bugs because of you. Hey guys! I have finally made a Beta version of the audio library for our game and I am sill in need of some testers! The audio library itself uses OpenAL and the .DLL for it is included, but you may need to download the runtime here. It is 332kb and installs in like 1 second. If you want to get a quick glance of what the demo project is like, take a look at the very short page I uploaded to the web here. In order to test it out, I made a windows based application that uses the library, so the download is a little bit large (488kb) with all of the statically linked files. I have included a wav file and a ogg file you can use to test it out with, but you can use your very own as well! If you are intrested in helping a buddy out [smile], and receive name credit for testing, can you just give it a quick go through and tell me how it works overall for you. There are a few gotchas that I have put in the documentation, so please glance over that first before you try to use it. It will only take less than 60 seconds, really!. Other than that I hope it is really simple to use and figure out. Ok, here is the download for it: Mantle Audio Library Beta 1.6.zip If you are intrested can you also fill out this quick questionare and get it to me either PM/Email/ or Post here if you don't mind sharing:

GameDev Name:
Name for Credit:
Processor:
Ram:
Sound Card:

Did everything work according to the tutorial:
(ie. Did the program run as expected and you were able to follow the tutorial fine)

Did you have any problems at all:
(ie. Tutorial was too complex)

Did anything not seem to work:
(ie. Position, pitch, etc...)

Other comments:
(ie. Ran slow...)
Thank you for your time and efforts as always! - Drew Benton [Edited by - Drew_Benton on May 25, 2005 9:51:48 PM]
Advertisement
Hmph. Well, I downloaded your MFC app, ran it, and while attempting to open an audio file got the very informative error message :
"Runtime Error ! This application has requested Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way."

Your log reports that OpenAL was unable to be initialized ... which is strange because the .dll was in the same folder as the MFC app.

Log dump :
I      OpenAL.cpp[0096]02/14 14:27 Failed to Initialize Open ALI      OpenAL.cpp[0096]02/14 14:27 Failed to initialize Open ALI      OpenAL.cpp[0096]02/14 14:30 Failed to Initialize Open ALI      OpenAL.cpp[0096]02/14 14:30 Failed to initialize Open AL

Anything I should have done prior to launching the app ?

<edit :: I also tried throwing the OpenAL.dll into the windows/system32 folder, which didn't help. Are you sure you're loading the DLL correctly ?
- stormrunner
Well first off, let me say thank you for trying it out [smile]. Now that error message is related to the creation of the OpenAL device and context. To solve this, I would first ask, do you have the latest OpenAL installed on your computer? If not, can you download it here. It is only 332kb and it installs really quickly (It was instantly for me).

Now if you do have OpenAL installed and those updated drivers did not work at all, then I have made a few little updates that might make a difference. You can get the new file here. I do not think you will need the MFC .dlls anymore since I linked it statically.

The changes I made were to put a more useful error message, so you know exactly why it cannot be initialized as well as if it fails. It will now try the default device if a custom one cannot be used. It will now also abort if there is something wrong with initialization, but still write to the log file before it exits. Can you give that a try and let me know how that works out. I hope it will be fixed after adding in the drivers. There is also a new update I have made at the top.

Thanks!
- Drew

[Edited by - Drew_Benton on May 25, 2005 9:56:00 PM]
When I run the file, it does nothing but making logfiles. Logger.log = 1,33MB, all filled with the following messages:

I      OpenAL.cpp[0384]02/16 10:11 void OpenAL::Initialize() -> alGenSources ( MAXSOURCES, Sources ): AL_INVALID_VALUEI      OpenAL.cpp[0689]02/16 10:11 OpenAL::StopAll()-> alSourceStopv ( MAXSOURCES, Sources ): AL_INVALID_NAMEI      OpenAL.cpp[0689]02/16 10:11 OpenAL::StopAll()-> alSourceStopv ( MAXSOURCES, Sources ): AL_INVALID_NAMEI      OpenAL.cpp[0689]02/16 10:11 OpenAL::StopAll()-> alSourceStopv ( MAXSOURCES, Sources ): AL_INVALID_NAMEI      OpenAL.cpp[0689]02/16 10:11 OpenAL::StopAll()-> alSourceStopv ( MAXSOURCES, Sources ): AL_INVALID_NAMEI      OpenAL.cpp[0689]02/16 10:11 OpenAL::StopAll()-> alSourceStopv ( MAXSOURCES, Sources ): AL_INVALID_NAMEetc.
It seems that by lowering the sources to 16, the problem was solved. I am definitly making a note of that for the documentations. I do not know if it is a result of just an old sound card or what...
Thank you for testing it out Pipo DeClown! Ok now for the problem. You are the second reported case with that error of not being able to generate that many sources. I have updated the library to version .5 now which sets the sources to 16 instead. If you can please give that a try and it should hopefully work.

Can you please PM me with information of your computer? I will be getting the information from the other tester who had the same problem soon.

Thanks again for your time!

- Drew Benton

[Edited by - Drew_Benton on May 25, 2005 9:24:10 PM]
Why can't I get it to work? I've selected the file and then I changed settings click Apply then Play, still no changes in anything, not even loop!
Sorry my intention for my post was not to hijack but was to provide help to the author. While creating this library I had to face a lot of difficulties. None of the tutorials prooved useful to me. In fact I had to compile features from one and a few code samples to get it working :)

And yes I admit it is my mistake to do some advertisement :(

Sorry about that ... I will create my own thread ... since the admin encouraged me to do so :)

Thanks!
Quote:Original post by Pipo DeClown
Why can't I get it to work? I've selected the file and then I changed settings click Apply then Play, still no changes in anything, not even loop!

Ok Pipo, to change the settings of a sound, you must have the sound playing already [smile]. Here is my quick tutorial from the docs:

Quick Tutorial:
    1. Set the Group number if desirable before you add file(s).   2. Click File->Open to add WAV or OGG file(s).   3. To use a single file: click on the file name in the “Select File” combo       box and choose an action below.   4. To use a group: click on the group number in the “Select Group” combo box       and choose an action below.   5. To modify the file - while it is playing, make sure it is selected in the       correct “Select” combo box, change the settings and choose the       corresponding “Apply To” button.   6. You can change the group at any time, remember to select the file.

Sorry for that nasty inconvience. I am working on an updated version so everything is stored so you can change it at anytime. So far that is the biggest complaint - that nothing is stored or kept, so that is something I will be working on for the next update. If you have any more troubles feel free to ask. I have some additional notes about values for the properties in the documentation. You can take a quick glance at the web version as well.

Your time and efforts are much appreciated, so thank you as always. Thanks!

- Drew Benton

[Edited by - Drew_Benton on May 25, 2005 9:15:19 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement