Sign in to follow this  
31337noob

good books

Since DirectX is a graphics/audio library, you will hardly find any document on doing physics calculation on a 3D hardware. ive heared that you can compute physics with shaders, but i dont think this is the way you want to make it...

btw the correct question is:

ARE there any books...

Quote:
Original post by 31337noob
is there...

Game physics by Dave Eberly - but it's not easy going. You're going to have to build up to complex systems like ragdolls gradually. I'm pretty certain, given the way you asked the question, that you'll find online resources more approachable - do some web searches and look for Chris Hecker's stuff.

just google "ragdoll physics" and you will find many good docs (i know, ive found many). if you dont want to spend hours on searching, i can help you with collecting links (i think i can determine faster wether a doc. is good for you)

Quote:
is the book "Physics for Game Developers" by David M. Bourg good at all?
It does a good job of explaining a lot of important concepts (although I've heard people say the code is kind of sketchy). AFAIK, though, it doesn't contain any material on articulated bodies.

Quote:

My opinion is that it's not good - stuff is badly explained, many of the demos are unstable/poor and the code is badly written.

And if you do not afraid of math (differential equations, matrices, etc.), go to this homepage:

http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~baraff/

(Ragdoll simulation isnt mantioned here, because it is only a subset of constrained physics)

Quote:
Original post by MrRowl
Quote:

My opinion is that it's not good - stuff is badly explained, many of the demos are unstable/poor and the code is badly written.

I feel the same way about that book. Game Physics is an excellent book though.

Edit: For ragdoll animation, there is one by premiere press. Its called Advanced Animation with DirectX. Think they use DX 8.0 though. It has similar numerical issues as Physics for Game Devs. The code is highly inefficient. On the other hand it gives you an idea on what are the classes you will need to create a ragdoll & how you might solve the constraints for the ragdoll (the method is neither accurate nor fast though). It IS a good start though. Good luck!