good books

Started by
9 comments, last by anis 19 years, 2 months ago
Is there any books that talk about how to do ragdoll and rigid body physics in directx. thanks in advanced.
Advertisement
Since DirectX is a graphics/audio library, you will hardly find any document on doing physics calculation on a 3D hardware. ive heared that you can compute physics with shaders, but i dont think this is the way you want to make it...

btw the correct question is:

ARE there any books...
"Knowledge is no more expensive than ignorance, and at least as satisfying." -Barrin
okay.

then is there any books that just talks about how to make ragdolls and rigid body physics at all.
Quote:Original post by 31337noob
is there...

Game physics by Dave Eberly - but it's not easy going. You're going to have to build up to complex systems like ragdolls gradually. I'm pretty certain, given the way you asked the question, that you'll find online resources more approachable - do some web searches and look for Chris Hecker's stuff.
just google "ragdoll physics" and you will find many good docs (i know, ive found many). if you dont want to spend hours on searching, i can help you with collecting links (i think i can determine faster wether a doc. is good for you)
"Knowledge is no more expensive than ignorance, and at least as satisfying." -Barrin
is the book "Physics for Game Developers" by David M. Bourg good at all?
Quote:is the book "Physics for Game Developers" by David M. Bourg good at all?
It does a good job of explaining a lot of important concepts (although I've heard people say the code is kind of sketchy). AFAIK, though, it doesn't contain any material on articulated bodies.
Quote:Original post by 31337noob
is the book "Physics for Game Developers" by David M. Bourg good at all?

My opinion is that it's not good - stuff is badly explained, many of the demos are unstable/poor and the code is badly written.
Ragdoll you say. Well this is the most in depth and comprehensive guide I've ever seen on the subject. I should warn you though its not easy going, but it is free:

Kinematic and Dynamic Simulation of Multibody Systems
[size="1"] [size="4"]:: SHMUP-DEV ::
And if you do not afraid of math (differential equations, matrices, etc.), go to this homepage:

http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~baraff/

(Ragdoll simulation isnt mantioned here, because it is only a subset of constrained physics)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement