GLSL multitexturing

Started by
7 comments, last by AndyPandyV2 19 years, 2 months ago
Hello, I'm trying to use Multitexturing with GLSL. The following lines should be getting the location of my uniform sampler2D texture units from the shader and binding them to texture unit 0 and texture unit 1. int loc = m_pExt->glGetUniformLocationARB(hShaderPrograms[x].hProgamObject,"textureUnit"); m_pExt->glUniform1iARB(loc,0); int loc2 = m_pExt->glGetUniformLocationARB(hShaderPrograms[x].hProgamObject,"textureUnit2"); m_pExt->glUniform1iARB(loc2,1); The problem is that inside the shader both textureUnit and textureUnit2 both reference the same texture(TU0). I'm setting the textures with.. glActiveTextureARB(GL_TEXTURE0_ARB); glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_2D); glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, tex1ID); glActiveTextureARB(GL_TEXTURE1_ARB); glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_2D); glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, tex2ID); If I use multitexturing without the shader I can use both textures but when using the shader I can't seem to get any textures besides TU0.. anyone know anything about this?
Advertisement
shader code?
Fragment shader is like this to test if the 2nd texture works.

varying vec2 texCoord;
uniform sampler2D textureUnit;
uniform sampler2D textureUnit2;

void main()
{
vec4 tempFrag = texture2D(textureUnit,texCoord);
vec4 tempFrag2 = texture2D(textureUnit2,texCoord);
gl_FragColor = tempFrag2;
}

Setting FragColor to tempFrag or tempFrag2 makes no difference, it displays the same texture in both cases.
Quote:Original post by AndyPandyV2
glActiveTextureARB(GL_TEXTURE0_ARB);
glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_2D);
glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, tex1ID);

glActiveTextureARB(GL_TEXTURE1_ARB);
glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_2D);
glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, tex2ID);

You need this line also when setting up your multitexturing and I am assuming your using Vertex arrays for texture coordinates?
glActiveTextureARB(GL_TEXTURE0_ARB);glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_2D);glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, textureObject[tex1ID]);glClientActiveTextureARB(GL_TEXTURE0_ARB);

HTH
It seems like this code can be removed completely and it makes no difference.. I don't believe the the TU are being bound properly for whatever reason. All sampler2D's just seem to be defaulting to TU0.

int loc2 = m_pExt->glGetUniformLocationARB(hShaderPrograms[x].hProgamObject,"textureUnit2");
m_pExt->glUniform1iARB(loc2,1)

u dont need to enable textures with shaders thus u can remove these totally
glEnable( GL_TEXTUE_2D ) theyre only needed if u use the standard pipeline,
though it should still work even though theyre in.
i cant see whats wrong, did u try glGetError(), textures loading properly etc
Thanks for the help, I tried glGetError() and on binding to any TU besides TU0 it generates error 1281 "invalid value".

glUniform1iARB(loc2,1);
I assume you've checked the value being returned in loc2?
Tried putting it in a loop and checking every Uniform from 0-255, it said Invalid operation for every one except the location of loc/loc2 which it says Invalid value if I try and bind anything other then TU0.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement