CHAR_INFO question

Started by
7 comments, last by ramen 19 years, 2 months ago
Ok so I was taking a C coded program and trying to put it into c++ so I can expand on it using classes. I got everything to work fine in C++ after correcting some things (like bools and whatnot) but I can't get CHAR_INFO to work. This is the code that isn't working. info.screenbuffer[position].Char.AsciiChar = ' '; info.screenbuffer[position].Attributes = BACKGROUND_BLUE; I am not on my computer so I forget the exact error message, but it was something similar to "error with '.' in line X" which refers to the first line and maybe the second. When I remove those lines the program works fine. I included everything needed, I think it is just a C code error in C++. When I compile in C it works fine. info is a struct screenbuffer is a CHAR_INFO array if infinite length position is a int that refers to the position in screenbuffer (array) Thanks
Advertisement
Still looking for an answer... I haven't been able to find one online yet.
Have you changed the headers that are included when you moved from C to C++? The old C headers don't have the same name in C++.
Quote:Original post by ramen
I am not on my computer so I forget the exact error message, but it was something similar to "error with '.' in line X" which refers to the first line and maybe the second.

Look, if you expect us to give you a precise answer, then you need to ask a precise question. So, go to your computer, copy the exact error message, and paste it here.

BTW, according to MSDN, CHAR_INFO is defined in windows.h. You included this header file, did you ?
Ok here is the code!

If I change it back into C code it works fine... I am just having trouble setting a char_info = to information in C++.

Error messages:
c:\karazin\programming\c++\console functions\main.cpp(119) : error C2059: syntax error : '.'
c:\karazin\programming\c++\console functions\main.cpp(120) : error C2039: 'gamedata' : is not a member of '_CHAR_INFO'
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\wincon.h(132) : see declaration of '_CHAR_INFO'
c:\karazin\programming\c++\console functions\main.cpp(120) : error C2039: 'screenBuff' : is not a member of '_CHAR_INFO'
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\wincon.h(132) : see declaration of '_CHAR_INFO'
c:\karazin\programming\c++\console functions\main.cpp(120) : error C2228: left of '.Attributes' must have class/struct/union type
c:\karazin\programming\c++\console functions\main.cpp(123) : error C2228: left of '.screenBuff' must have class/struct/union type
c:\karazin\programming\c++\console functions\main.cpp(123) : error C2059: syntax error : '.'
c:\karazin\programming\c++\console functions\main.cpp(124) : error C2228: left of '.gamedata' must have class/struct/union type
c:\karazin\programming\c++\console functions\main.cpp(124) : error C2228: left of '.screenbugg' must have class/struct/union type
c:\karazin\programming\c++\console functions\main.cpp(124) : error C2228: left of '.attributes' must have class/struct/union type

main.cpp
#include <iostream>#include <windows.h>#include <stdio.h>#include "cobs.h"using namespace std;const char MAP_NAMES[MAX_MAZES][64] = { "Map.txt", "Map2.txt" };// This struct will  hold ALL of our game datastruct GAMEDATA {	CHAR_INFO *screenBuff; // This is buffer (array) we will allocate that will hold						   // all of our "maze data" that we want to display to the screen	HANDLE outputHandle; // This is the handle of where we want to draw our screen buffer	HANDLE inputHandle; // This is wthe handle of where we want to recieve user input (keyboard)	SMALL_RECT rect; // This defines a rectangular area on the screen where we want to draw	// The width and Height of our maze	int width;	int height;	// the (x,y) of the "ending position" of the maze	// int xEndPos;	// int xEndPos;} gamedata;bool initiate();bool loadmap();bool inithandles();int main() {		return(0);}bool initiate() {	if( inithandles() == false )		return false;		return true;}bool inithandles() {	// Get the standard output handle	gamedata.outputHandle = GetStdHandle(STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE);	// Error Check	if (gamedata.outputHandle == NULL )		return false;	// Get the standard input handle	gamedata.inputHandle = GetStdHandle(STD_INPUT_HANDLE);	// Error Check	if (gamedata.inputHandle == NULL )		return false;	return true; // Handles loaded succesfully}bool loadmap() {	FILE *file_ptr = NULL; // a "handle" for the map file		// These will be used to calculate the offset into our screenBuff	// **NOTE** even though "screenBuff" is a one dimensional array, we're going to	// treat it as a two dimensional array	int x = 0;	int y = 0;		int offset = 0; // we'll use this to store the offset into our	// screenBuff when we are accessing it as a 2D array		char temp; // This will be a "temp" char -- This will hold the current character	// we've read in from the file		// This randomly loads a maze from our list of map names in MAP_NAMES	file_ptr = fopen(MAP_NAMES[rand()%MAX_MAZES],"r"); // Open the file for reading		// Error check	if (file_ptr == NULL)		return false;		// First line of "map file" contains two integers.	// First int is the width of the map	// Second int is the height of the map		fscanf(file_ptr,"%d",&(gamedata.width)); // read in the width of the map	fscanf(file_ptr,"%d",&(gamedata.height)); // read in the height of the map		fgetc(file_ptr); // Skip past the "end of line character"		// Now we can create a CHAR_INFO array that is big enough to hold the map	gamedata.screenBuff = (CHAR_INFO*)malloc(sizeof(CHAR_INFO) * gamedata.width * gamedata.height);		// Error check	if (gamedata.screenBuff == NULL) {		fclose(file_ptr); // close the file we opened		return false;	}		while(!feof(file_ptr)) { // keep going until we reach the end of the "map file"		temp = (char)fgetc(file_ptr); // read in the next character in file		offset = x + y * gamedata.width; // computer offset into our screen buffer				switch(temp)		{		case '0': // read in an open space			// Fill that location with a space that is background blue			gamedata.screenBuff[offset].char.AsciiChar = ' ';			gamedata.screenBuff[offset].Attributes = BACKGROUND_BLUE;			break;		case '1':			gamedata.screenBuff[offset].char.asciichar = wall;			gamedata.screenbugg[offset].attributes = BACKGROUND_BLUE | FOREGROUND_GREEN;			break;		}								return true;			}}

cobs.h
#ifndef cobs#define cobs#include <windows.h>#include <stdio.h>#define MAX_MAZES 2 // Maximum number of "random" mazes for loading// How far from the upper left corner of the window (0,0) we want to // "indent" in for when we draw to the screen#define INDENT_X 5#define INDENT_Y 5#endif

I do not seem any line with '.gamedata'. The code that you posted looks correct to me.
It is correct, all of it. Except not the:
gamedata.screenBuff[offset].char.AsciiChar = ' ';
and the three other lines similar to it. That code right three is C code, not C++. I am just trying to figure out how to change that into C++. I couldn't find anything online.
C++ code is case-sensitive.

gamedata.screenBuff[offset].char.AsciiChar = ' ';	gamedata.screenBuff[offset].Attributes = BACKGROUND_BLUE;	gamedata.screenBuff[offset].char.asciichar = wall;	gamedata.screenbugg[offset].attributes = BACKGROUND_BLUE | FOREGROUND_GREEN;

EDIT: I fail to see how this could compile in C either!

Also, for your future questions,

1. Use [ source ] tags instead of tags for long code.<br>2. Clearly indicate IN THE source where are the errors occuring. I won't always be in a good enough mood to copy-paste your code into an editor so I can count the lines and find where the errors are.
Thanks for the help :)

Next time I will use source!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement