• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
hpolloni

skydome ugly texture glitch

This topic is 4900 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

im making a skydome algorithm generating the sky texture blending a cloud alpha texture generated with perlin noise and a gradient. The effect is great, but the problem i have is that in the pole of the dome ocurr this glitch: clicky i thinking that this ocurr maybe because the right and left part of the texture doesn't match. Also i try just zeroing the upper part of the clouds alpha , so only the gradient will show on the pole, but it look very ugly. Another solution will be using fog to cover the pole, but i also didn't like the effect. Maybe i over thinking this and putting to much effort in an eye-candy that most players don't appreciate. Any answer will be greatly appreciated. PS: Sorry for my lame english.

Advertisement
I don't have a precise answer for you, but from looking at that screenshot it looks the same as when I've made some really crappy geometry in 3DSMax using rubbish texture mapping on a sphere.

Maybe you'd get a better result if you used a more "sphere friendly" texture coordinate projection system. I know they exist, here's a couple of resources I came across when having a look around:
Spherical Textures
Google search for 'Spherical Texture Mapping'
Some of the links appear to be similar to some of the projections used to draw 2D/flat pictures of the atlas..

hth
Jack

Quote:
i thinking that this ocurr maybe because the right and left part of the texture doesn't match.

no, it occurs cause of trying to map a 2d square texture onto a sphere/hemisphere, which is impposible (get a piece of paper wrap it around a tennisball see that a lot of the paper is bunched up in one spot, thats sorta whats happenign with your app)
u will need to choose different texture coordinates, perhaps a 2d plane projected down from above, this will lead to stretching at the bottom of the skydome, thus lower the skydome a bit and it should be hardly noticable

Quote:
Original post by zedzeek
no, it occurs cause of trying to map a 2d square texture onto a sphere/hemisphere, which is impposible (get a piece of paper wrap it around a tennisball see that a lot of the paper is bunched up in one spot, thats sorta whats happenign with your app)

I wouldn't go so far as saying impossible - there are various projections so you can get a 2D representation to appear correctly on a sphere (see my links). However, it does require a non-trivial solution - the basic mapping, as we've both pointed out just doesn't cut it in this situation [smile].

hth
Jack

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!