Sign in to follow this  
JoshuaSmyth

Starcars - Prerelease 3D arcade shareware

Hi to everyone on these boards, I've nearly completed my first title which I plan to release as shareware and sell over the internet. It's a 3D arcade game (requires DX8.0) and the main inspiration has been drawn from an older shareware game called skyroads. The game is practically finished, the version I present to you is basicly the final beta version the only thing that needs to be finished is that there are some graphical anomolies with some video cards. If you wish to test and try out my project you can get it at www.peachysoft.com

Hi,
I installed your game and it says 'Hardware transform & lighting not found'.
On this machine I have a s3 16 Mb card, this is not a high-end card, but it runs almost all directX 8.1 games without problems..

grz,
M.

I liked it! The amount of levels in the game is impressive. I liked the fact that some of the levels were dynamic with moving platforms and the like.
the controls are good but i myself wouldn't mind a little friction so the car slows down by itself but thats just me. Great game but one thing that kinda bothered me was the little sound that is played when your mouse selects something, it was a little too high pitched for me.

Looks good so far!

Suggestions:

*When the car hits the surface, make it bounce a bit.
*The Skyroads camera was closer to the surface and was tilted upwards a little more, I think.
*Have a way for the player to quickly restart. I was always annoyed in skyroads when I'd have to wait for what seemed a long time after I fell off a level to restart. Yes, watching the level scroll by is useful, but make it possible for the player to quickly restart.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by matt_j
Looks good so far!

Suggestions:

*When the car hits the surface, make it bounce a bit.
*The Skyroads camera was closer to the surface and was tilted upwards a little more, I think.
*Have a way for the player to quickly restart. I was always annoyed in skyroads when I'd have to wait for what seemed a long time after I fell off a level to restart. Yes, watching the level scroll by is useful, but make it possible for the player to quickly restart.

My goal wasn't to emulate skyroads and that is one of the reasons why the camera angle is different. I played around with a few different angles too, including 1st person :)

If you press escape a menu will come up, there you can restart, I might also try cutting a second or two off you dying when you fall off.

Thanks for the comments

Guest Anonymous Poster
Where it lists the minimum requirements for the game, you should probably list that it requires a 3D Accelerator with HW TnL.

Sign in to follow this