Sign in to follow this  
Mech_Master

Help on some stuff...

Need to know whats the best way to learn C/C++. Wish one should i learn C or C++? My plan is to make a 3D game engine.(Need Help to start) Is the only book in 3DGameEngine is 3D Game Engine Programming by Stefan Zerbst? If there is anything you think i need to know please do tell me. Thanx alot all.

First to decide on a language from C and C++, it's C++, no question. It has the most versatility of probably any language. If you want to do anything major you'll have an easier time to learn C++. You can learn C pretty easily (if you know C++ it's a subset, you just can't use certain functions) In addition C isn't as easy to get 3d working with.

Second to learn it, you have to figure that out yourself. I prefer to try stuff out and learn that way, while asking questions, other people like to read books and then learn that way, theres tons of tutorials and sites for free on the web (don't have any on hand for basic C++ but you can search for C++ tutorials and find some) One thing you shouldn't be afraid of is searching the web for info.

Finally DONT plan to do a 3D engine as anything early one. 3D engines are pretty large and complex. It's not something for a first project. You'll want to work on C++ a couple monthes before you even untake a large scale project, and 3D will likely make you need to learn a graphics API also which will add on time.

Best advice is try to learn C++ to learn C++, if you excel at it, see where it takes you but aim for stuff in reach so if you miss a mark you don't fall too far. One day you'll realize you might be able to move towards the game engine, and then it's good, but from a standstill, it's probably going to be a bit too hard.

IF you want to make games I would recommend you learn C++ because in my opinion it's much better for large scale projects while C is good for lower level programming, for example writing vide card drivers.

I found out that I learn the best way by opening a book and studying the material myself. You might differ but if you are really serious buy youself a book from amazon. I would recommend "The C++ Programming Language" by Bjarne Stroustrup.

You have a while to go before you start making 3-d engines, right now just focus on learning how to program. If you need help with the material you can always come here and post.

*EDIT*

I'm slow at typing