Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Viri-

Error Logging....

I have been working on an error logger for my programs and have saved myself a lot of time. But now I need it to log multiple errors that occur in a text file. I''ve been using the basic fstream.h header and created a ofstream error_log; and used that to write any errors I have through out the program. But if I need to write more then one error to a line I can''t. How else could I do this? Here is my code: #include Void write_error(char *text); ofstream error_log; write_error("This is it being used…."); void write_error(char *text) { ofstream << "Error log file\n"; // line not displayed // because over written ofstream << text << ''\n''; // only line displayed. Last error // only one dispayed } thanks, Viri-

If I''m understanding what you mean, you need to add ios::app to the open flags when you open the file, like so:

ofstream error_log( "errors.log",ios::out|ios::app );

this way, you won''t clear out the old contents of the file every time you open it. If that''s not what you mean, then you could also try bitwise OR''ing in ios::ate which will move the put pointer at the end of the file before every write. You may also want to use endl instead of ''\n'', since I believe endl is platform independent--machines like Macs use ''\r'' as the end of line marker.

Hope one of thise suggestions helps.

Liquid

I think you need to put "<< flush" after your out statement. "endl" is roughly equivalent to "''\n'' << flush", I think, so it should work too, but I believe you can use "flush" to force a stream to finish writing without neccessarily having the newline. If you wanted to use several statements to write to one line in the test file, this would be useful.

--Tr][aD--