easy cheesy python question

Started by
4 comments, last by Oluseyi 19 years, 2 months ago
I need to make a collection of class-instances sortable. So, I checked the docs, and found a page on how to mimic being a numeric type: http://docs.python.org/ref/numeric-types.html However, it doesn't have anything about comparison operators. How do I do this?
Advertisement
http://python.active-venture.com/ref/customization.html

Overload the below 'rich comparison' operators

__lt__( self, other)

__le__( self, other)

__eq__( self, other)

__ne__( self, other)

__gt__( self, other)

__ge__( self, other)

New in version 2.1. These are the so-called ``rich comparison'' methods, and are called for comparison operators in preference to __cmp__() below. The correspondence between operator symbols and method names is as follows: x<y calls x.__lt__(y), x<=y calls x.__le__(y), x==y calls x.__eq__(y), x!=y and x<>y call x.__ne__(y), x>y calls x.__gt__(y), and x>=y calls x.__ge__(y). These methods can return any value, but if the comparison operator is used in a Boolean context, the return value should be interpretable as a Boolean value, else a TypeError will be raised. By convention, False is used for false and True for true.
Thank you! :)

I can't beleive I missed that!
Quote:Original post by Daniel Miller
Thank you! :)

I can't beleive I missed that!

Actually, they are tricky to find. Make use of the dir() function - dir(object) returns a list of all valid methods for that object, and you can usually find a list of magic functions there.

Example:

IDLE 1.0.3
>>> a = 5
>>> dir(a)
['__abs__', '__add__', '__and__', '__class__', '__cmp__', '__coerce__', '__delattr__', '__div__', '__divmod__', '__doc__', '__float__', '__floordiv__', '__getattribute__', '__getnewargs__', '__hash__', '__hex__', '__init__', '__int__', '__invert__', '__long__', '__lshift__', '__mod__', '__mul__', '__neg__', '__new__', '__nonzero__', '__oct__', '__or__', '__pos__', '__pow__', '__radd__', '__rand__', '__rdiv__', '__rdivmod__', '__reduce__', '__reduce_ex__', '__repr__', '__rfloordiv__', '__rlshift__', '__rmod__', '__rmul__', '__ror__', '__rpow__', '__rrshift__', '__rshift__', '__rsub__', '__rtruediv__', '__rxor__', '__setattr__', '__str__', '__sub__', '__truediv__', '__xor__']
Quote:Original post by psamty10

Actually, they are tricky to find.

They're in the manual under basic customization. But using help() on anything you see is a good way to learn. [smile]
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Quote:Original post by psamty10
IDLE 1.0.3
>>> a = 5
>>> dir(a)
dir(int)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement