Sign in to follow this  
corrington_j

bitkeeper for source control

corrington_j    148
Just heard about bitkeeper for source control, and it seems like a pretty good option. I am pretty sure it is free for open source use, is this true? It seems a lot easier to set up that subversion or cvs. I am used to perforce, which is extremely easy to use, so I am a little scared of the difficulty of setting up subversion or cvs servers, and looking for something else. Anyone have any experience with it.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I belive Bitkeeper is a distributed system, where the "maintainer" pulls the parts he wants to the repository from other project people's repositories. This is suitable for certain kinds of projects, such as the Linux kernel. For projects where you don't need (sometimes they might even be a burden) distributed repositories, Subversion or CVS is probably a better choice.

Houdini    266
I've heard good things about bitkeeper, although I've never used it myself. Out of curiosity, why aren't you sticking with Perforce since you already know it?

- Houdini

Quote:
Original post by corrington_j
Just heard about bitkeeper for source control, and it seems like a pretty good option.

From the product description, it sounds interesting. But if you are used to perforce then bitkeeper is interesting only if you feel limited by perforce features. But It doesn't seem to be that easy to use. In fact, I believe that the first step is the easier, and any subsequent step is harder than needed. Not to mention that their graphical tools are rather ugly - the difftoll looks like an old version of windiff :/

Anyway, I didn't gave it a try, so these comments are opinions. They should not be considered as anything else.

Quote:
I am pretty sure it is free for open source use, is this true?

yes, once you agree the terms of the BKL license and use Open Logging.

Quote:
It seems a lot easier to set up that subversion or cvs. I am used to perforce, which is extremely easy to use, so I am a little scared of the difficulty of setting up subversion or cvs servers, and looking for something else. Anyone have any experience with it.

<rant>
What they say about perforce is somewhat weird. Sample:
Quote:
Perforce has made an effort to make their database reliable, but even so, it can get corrupted, frequently through no fault on Perforce's part, i.e. a disk goes bad.

:/ This is obviously a stupid comment. I believe that if you erase the bitkeeper repository, you may also experience some problems. But, hey, Perforce is a direct concurrent...
Quote:
Perforce is similar to CVS

Yes, and it is similar to rcs too, probably. And to notepad, maybe. Weird. I tend to beleive that there is a large difference between cvs and perforce.
</rant>

Subversion and cvs are not that hard to install and maintain. But they are feature-limited if you compare them to true configuration management systems (for example, you don't have the "list of change" idea, nor you have the concept of "jobs" and responsabilities in svn or cvs).

If I were you, I'll stay with perforce :)

Regards,

corrington_j    148
I'd love to stay with perforce, but I have outgrown the 2 user limit for the free version, so i need to switch. I think i will go with subversion. Anyone have any good tutorials on setting up a subversion server on win xp, or is the documentation good enough. Also will this require building anything, or can i use all binaries.