Can you use some parts of SDL without using video?

Started by
4 comments, last by Drew_Benton 19 years, 2 months ago
I'm wondering, can you use other pieces of SDL (particularly input and time) without using video? Obviously things like window events won't come from SDL, but I mean like asynchronous input and joystick and such. [Edited by - Promit on February 15, 2005 12:44:45 PM]
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Advertisement
Yes, just don't init the video subsystem. See the docs for SDL_Init, pass only the SDL_INIT_* flags for the subsystems you need.
Quote:Original post by jonahrowley
Yes, just don't init the video subsystem. See the docs for SDL_Init, pass only the SDL_INIT_* flags for the subsystems you need.

If I am not mistaken, ORGE does the same thing. I am taking a look into it and one of the things I cam across was that it uses the input internally.
Why would you want to though?
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Quote:Original post by Rob Loach

Portable timer, threads, events, net, etc. You also might not want to use SDL for graphics all the time, and have an abstracted interface, in which case, you'd want to init the SDL graphics subsystem later on, or not at all.
Quote:Original post by Rob Loach

Also think about of you wanted to make some console server or something as well as use another lbirary, such as SDL_net, SDL_mixer, etc... I really never thought about this before, thanks for bringing it up Promit. I think I am going to do a few experiments with this concept myself...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement