Sign in to follow this  
minionx

c++ - as2

minionx    133
A buddy of mine was wanting to write a little game in flash the otherday using Actionscript2, and needed some help with getting a flocking algo like BOIDS up and running. So I coded it in c++ and tweaked it until it looked right. Only problem is, now some poor schmuck has to go through and recode it in AS2. I'm thinking it might be handy to write a c++ program that would take a c++ class, and translate it into a AS2 class. Now, I realize that there are some fundamental differences between the langauges, but the majority of the code could be directly translated. Would a tool like this be handy to anyone?

Fruny    1658
Warning! You are about to propose writing a full C++ compiler, only with ActionScript2 as its output instead of ASM. Are you sure this is what you want to do?

Sneftel    1788
Agreed. This is one of those projects that sounds easy until you get 50% done with it and realize you are only 5% done with it.

minionx    133
mm, I know...

I was thinking more along the lines of just a syntax translator. I mean, most of the work could be done with a few clever regular expressions...

I think the comparison between translating c++ to asm and c++ to AS2 is a bit extreme. AS2 seems to just put their data types in funny places :)

Kramy    126
I have to agree - I mean, it's not like you're going to compile it, just convert text into different text, right? Kinda like a small proggie with two edit boxes that you dump text into one and get the translated text from the other(which is then copied into Flash MX).

renderpaz2    122
why not just write in in AS in the first place? Its just a Java wanna-be for flash (a great thing i must say) if you can write c you can deffinetly pick up AS in 10 min.