Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Blackstream

Computer and Video Card Question

I hope to god I''m not about to start a flame war here... I want to get a computer, but seeing as I''ve got a Pentium 166 with a video card that doesn''t seem to want to accelerate, I''m a little behind the times. So... I''ve got a few questions. What are the differences between Pentium III''s and AMD Athlons right now? I thought that Athlons were just faster and that was it, but I''ve been hearing other things, like Intel Chips work better with some Video Cards, or something like that. Also, about video cards, I want to get a video card, and I think Geforce2, or that Prophet card was supposed to be top of the line right now. My questions are, what is basically the best right now, and do they acclerate Opengl as well as DirectX? And if you guys don''t feel like answering the questions, could you at least recomment the hardware (e.g. Pentium III 900 MHZ, Gefore2, 256MB Ram, 17 inch flatscreen with .25 dot pitch)? My price range is about $2000 for everything right now. I''ve done a little research and it seems like the top of the line for about $2000 is this, but I could be wrong (technology grows so fast nowadays): AMD Athlon 900gz, 128MB ram, Geforce2, 40gb HardDrive, DVD, 19 inch moniter with .25 dot pitch. Those specs come out to about to $2000, I know I can do better, 1gz, 256MB ram, for example, but I don''t $2500 to spend, unless of course you guys think I should keep on saving until I get that much money, and then get a computer. I''m sorry if I have come off sounding a little lazy, I just wanted to ask people what their opinions were. -Blackstream

Basically the Athlons and P3''s are about equal any way you cut it. But AMD has already come out with the Thunderbird and the P4''s are just around the corner so whatever you buy will be outdated... but I guess that''s one of the pains of computers. I''d get an Athlon personally, with everything that you mentioned above... except maybe the GeForce 2. I preffer Radeon''s to GeForces but that''s just me.

www.tomshardware.com and a few other sites specialize in rating hardware so you might be better off looking through there.

------------
- outRider -

My computer is a P3 700, my husband''s is an Athlon 800, and our DSL server is a Celeron 300a overclocked to 455. There is a significant speed increase on things like EQ zone load times and boot time. Granted he has a little more RAM, but the difference is about as significant as that between the load time on the celeron and my computer. All three machines contain voodoos of various flavors, and we haven''t had any compatability issues there though I have had a problem with an AMD K6-2 450 not liking a Stealth III when it first came out. I think the video card companies have caught up a lot lately on supporting multiple processors well when they go to market.

-fel