Please help choosing an open source license

Started by
3 comments, last by GCoda 19 years, 2 months ago
Hi, I have studied GPL, MPL and some other licenses but none of them seem to work whit my project. Let me explain. I am using torque game engine (TGE) (www.garagegames.com) to create multi player enabled game. What I can't do because of TGE's license is to make the engine open source so I planning to make only the script files open source. So I'm looking for an open source license that: 1) Doesn't allow client's to join official game servers whit modified script files. 2) Don't require every script file to contain license information. I'm new to this licensing stuff so if you can think of anything else that the license should prevent from happening please tell. But most importantly the question is, is there are a proper licenses available that matches to those two criteria's or do I have to design my own license? Thanks for your time.
Jesus loves you!
Advertisement
Hrm, for number one, Could you use
MD5 sums? So if someone edited the
script, the server would know and knock
them off. That doesn't sound like
licensing, more of a security issue.

Sounds like you could use a
modified license? Not sure which ones though.
--my two cents--

[edit]
Wait..here http://www.opensource.org/licenses/
[/edit]
Simply question... why?

If you want to do an open source game then you shouldn't be using someone's (non-open source) engine to do it. If you don't want the game to be open source but want it to be free then just post it on your web site as "free".

Just because you want to give the game away doesn't mean it needs to be open source. Just because you use the Torque engine doesn't mean you cant give the game away for free. You only need a license if you are seeking to protect something. If you want your game to be free just give it way.

(been out on the beer with the drunkards at Sony so please ignore anything above that isn't relevant).
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
Quote:Original post by Obscure
Simply question... why?

Actually I don't want to make it open source but I need free CVS and bug tracking for the team works sake and http://www.sourceforge.net/ offers these. Only catch is that your project must be open source.

I'm not planning to sell my game but I still want to limit the usage of the script files. It would be best to have license which deny the usage of the modified script files whit my modified version of TGE but that would make them pretty useless of course. So I don't know if that violates the OSI?

Thanks.
Jesus loves you!
Quote:Original post by criminy
Hrm, for number one, Could you use
MD5 sums? So if someone edited the
script, the server would know and knock
them off. That doesn't sound like
licensing, more of a security issue.

Sounds like you could use a
modified license? Not sure which ones though.
--my two cents--

[edit]
Wait..here http://www.opensource.org/licenses/
[/edit]

I'm not sure what MD5 sums is. From what google found it seems to be like CRC check?
I'm afraid I can't use anything like that because what I mostly want to protect is the client scripts and server doesn't have them so they can't be compared...

Thanks for the help though. I'll try to look a license from that site you linked.

EDIT: Can any license be modified or should it be approved in the license?
Jesus loves you!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement