advance c++ books

Started by
9 comments, last by bkt 19 years, 1 month ago
I have read the deitel deitel C++ book and have a frim grisp of all most topic in that book. i am looking for a book that will help me in write clean, faster, better looking code and more advance topics like programming dll file and stuff like that. what books out there can teach me the knowagle i would like to lear?
Advertisement
Quote:advance c++ books

Like "Modern C++ Design" and "C++ Template Metaprogramming" ?

Quote:write clean

Gamedev keeps recommending to me the "Code Complete, 2nd Edition" and "Writing Great Code". You can also check "C++ Gotchas" and "C++ Coding Standards".

Quote:faster

Get an algorithms textbook. Learn to use the standard library efficiently (The C++ Standard Library, a tutorial and reference).

Quote:better looking code

Religious issue.

Quote:like programming dll file and stuff like that.

That's not a C++ book you want, but a Windows API documentation.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
deitel & deitel's book are more how to program than anything (i guess except for the pro series don't know for sure), so you don't really know C++ aswell as you may think, i suggest you read these two before moving onto advance specializied topics on C++ such as some of the ones fruny suggested:

The C++ Programming Language Third Edition Special Edition by the creator of c++ Bjarne Stroustrup
Accelerated C++ Practical Programming by Example

[Edited by - snk_kid on February 15, 2005 7:47:34 PM]
Quote:Original post by Fruny
Gamedev keeps recommending to me the "Code Complete, 2nd Edition" and "Writing Great Code". You can also check "C++ Gotchas" and "C++ Coding Standards".

You still don't have them ? [wink]

You can probably add Herb Sutter's books (his web site is worth a look). Scott Meyers's books are good to read too (there are 2 links here). Fruny cited them: Andrei Alexandrescu's books.

Last but not least, the C++ commitee website and Bjarne Stroustrup's web might be good places to find informations about C++.

You'll have to add the GoF's Design Pattern if you don't own it plus a myriad of other great books as well. The gdnet book section contains some of them - you should have a look too.

HTH,
This link might be helpful.

List of reviews of C++ books:
http://www.accu.org/bookreviews/public/reviews/0sb/advanced_c__.htm

um now you said dll's was a window programming thing, does that i a can't use them when making lets say a console program, cuase i want to play around with it without writing all that window code.
DLL are a OS-wide thingy. Their use is not limited to GUI programs. You can use them with a console program too. Their name only implies that they are dynamically linked with your program.

Regards,
Quote:Original post by 3dmodelerguy
um now you said dll's was a window programming thing, does that i a can't use them when making lets say a console program, cuase i want to play around with it without writing all that window code.

Yeah, when he said Windows, he meant the OS Windows (2000, XP, etc.), not the actual window that you can create.
I have to agree with most of the people here:

Effective C++ and more effective c++ (I constantly learn from these)
Modern C++ design (THE book on templates)
Exceptional C++ (problems and answers, not as good as scott meyers but still very good)
C++ coding standards (great one to two pagers on how you should program, but has alot of reference to the books above)
More C++ Gem (nobody mentionned this one, I liked it)

Others might be (not c++ per say, they are more about building software)

Design Pattern (dry, but excellent reference)
Design Pattern explained (It's easier and more pleseant to read)
Pattern Hatching
Refactoring (a bit dry)
Refactoring to Patterns
Working effictively with legacy code(Excellent book!)
Agile Software Development, Principles, Patterns, and Practices(Loved this one!)

Well, that's pretty much all my reading material on C++.

Shadx
I also liked "Imperfect C++" - Lots of interesting nuggets in there.

Here's an exerpt of its bibliography section.

Isaac Asimov - The Gods Themselves
Frederic Brooks - The Mythical Man-Month
Steve Dewhurst - C++ Gotchas
Robert Glass - Facts and Fallacies of Software Engineering
Andrew Hunt and David Thomas - The Pragmatic Programmer
Kernighan and Pike - The Practice of Programming
David Kruglinski - Inside Visual C++, Volume 4
Peter van der Linden - Deep C Secrets
Stanley Lippman - Inside the C++ Object Models
Scott Meyers - Effective C++ and More Effective C++
Bjarne Stroustrup - The Design and Evolution of C++
Herb Sutter - Exceptional C++

You'll notice how some of the books have already been mentioned in this thread... [smile]
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement