openGL errors

Started by
10 comments, last by Drew_Benton 19 years, 2 months ago
When using the code you download here: http://nehe.gamedev.net/data/lessons/devc/lesson01.zip which uses openGL (lesson 1 code), why do I get the following errors when trying to run it? I'm using Dev-C++ compiler by the way. Also, for Dev-C++ you must #define CDS_FULLSCREEN because Dev-C++ isn't a compiler that already defines it. THIS define is NOT in the downloadable coding for some reason, so you'll have to put it in yourself. C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\ccETaaaa.o(.tex t+0x38):lesson1.cpp: undefined reference to `glViewport@16' C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\ccETaaaa.o(.tex t+0x45):lesson1.cpp: undefined reference to `glMatrixMode@4' C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\ccETaaaa.o(.tex t+0x4d):lesson1.cpp: undefined reference to `glLoadIdentity@0' C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\ccETaaaa.o(.tex t+0x84):lesson1.cpp: undefined reference to `gluPerspective@32' C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\ccETaaaa.o(.tex t+0x91):lesson1.cpp: undefined reference to `glMatrixMode@4' C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\ccETaaaa.o(.tex t+0x99):lesson1.cpp: undefined reference to `glLoadIdentity@0' C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\ccETaaaa.o(.tex t+0xb7):lesson1.cpp: undefined reference to `glShadeModel@4' C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\ccETaaaa.o(.tex t+0xd1):lesson1.cpp: undefined reference to `glClearColor@16' C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\ccETaaaa.o(.tex t+0xe0):lesson1.cpp: undefined reference to `glClearDepth@8' C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\ccETaaaa.o(.tex t+0xf0):lesson1.cpp: undefined reference to `glEnable@4' C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\ccETaaaa.o(.tex t+0x100):lesson1.cpp: undefined reference to `glDepthFunc@4' C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\ccETaaaa.o(.tex t+0x115):lesson1.cpp: undefined reference to `glHint@8' C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\ccETaaaa.o(.tex t+0x13b):lesson1.cpp: undefined reference to `glClear@4' C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\ccETaaaa.o(.tex t+0x143):lesson1.cpp: undefined reference to `glLoadIdentity@0' C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\ccETaaaa.o(.tex t+0x258):lesson1.cpp: undefined reference to `wglMakeCurrent@8' C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\ccETaaaa.o(.tex t+0x282):lesson1.cpp: undefined reference to `wglDeleteContext@4' C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\ccETaaaa.o(.tex t+0x854):lesson1.cpp: undefined reference to `ChoosePixelFormat@8' C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\ccETaaaa.o(.tex t+0x898):lesson1.cpp: undefined reference to `SetPixelFormat@12' C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\ccETaaaa.o(.tex t+0x8ce):lesson1.cpp: undefined reference to `wglCreateContext@4' C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\ccETaaaa.o(.tex t+0x914):lesson1.cpp: undefined reference to `wglMakeCurrent@8' C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\ccETaaaa.o(.tex t+0xc2f):lesson1.cpp: undefined reference to `SwapBuffers@4'
Advertisement
Because you're not linking to the OpenGL libraries.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
link the correct opengl libraries ( *.a ), one of nehe's tutorials tells you wich ones.
I do not see why you are having problems. If you open the "Lesson1.dev" file, it has the correct libraries already in there:

-lopengl32 -lglu32 -lglaux -lkernel32 -luser32 -lgdi32 -lwinspool -lcomdlg32 -ladvapi32 -lshell32 -lole32 -loleaut32 -luuid -lodbc32 -lodbccp32

All I had to do was comment out the line:
#include <gl\glaux.h>		// Header File For The Glaux Library

And that worked for me fine. I just installed Dev-CPP as well, so I havce not made any chagnes to it. I also do not see how you are having troubles with "CDS_FULLSCREEN". In that tutorial they include windows.h, so it is defined already. Once again, I downloaded that link you posted and it compiled without any modifications except removing the glaux.

I'd say make sure you open the "Lesson1.dev" file with Dev-CPP and you should be fine. Make sure you are using the latest Dev-CPP as well. Good luck!

- Drew
ok, I have been researching this for hours. My brain feels like it's going to leak out of my ear.

I downloaded and unziped http://nehe.gamedev.net/data/lessons/devc/lesson01.zip then opened the project file. Under Project>ProjectOptions and in the "Further object files or linker options" place, there was nothing typed as you said. It was just blank. Also, no code appears to be visible at all either. I try to click on the lesson1.cpp link on the left where the manager colomn is, but nothing happens. I can only see code when I open the lesson1.cpp file specifically.

My way around this: Create a new project and copy/paste code into a new file, then save that project.

~~~~~~~~
NOW... this: http://nehe.gamedev.net/data/lessons/lesson.asp?lesson=01 is the only tutorial or documentation on this website I can find that covers the installation of openGL. It does not specificy where to instal the lib, dll, or h files. I am completely new to this, so I don't know where these go. From my research, I have found that most of the documentations on installing openGL, mention the G++, include, and lib folders, so I just went and installed all the lib, dll, and h files to those locations. I also did not know how to "link" and what specifically NEEDED to be linked. I also found out that the dll files were supposed to go in your system32 folder. I now go to Project>ProjectOptions and under "Further object files or linker options" place, I type -lopengl32 -lglu32 -lglut32 and hit "OK".

Now when I compile, I just get errors like:
(.text+0x854):mycfilename.cpp: undefined reference to 'ChoosePixelFormat@8'
and whatnot. Just three of them though.

SOOOOOoooo..... I never would have guessed this to be this difficult. There are not very many documentations online that go over ALL installation setps for ALL of the files you get and tell you where EXACTLY you're supposed to place the files. This is slightly frustrating because I want to get to coding, not spend countless hours trying to figure out all this stuff my trial and error. But... hopefully I can just get through this soon to get it over with and all will be fine. =)
Quote:Original post by Darkware
I downloaded and unziped http://nehe.gamedev.net/data/lessons/devc/lesson01.zip then opened the project file. Under Project>ProjectOptions and in the "Further object files or linker options" place, there was nothing typed as you said. It was just blank. Also, no code appears to be visible at all either. I try to click on the lesson1.cpp link on the left where the manager colomn is, but nothing happens. I can only see code when I open the lesson1.cpp file specifically.

What the heck? How is that possible? Would you like me to send you the project I have? Maybe some freak occurance happened or something with your Dev-CPP...it is known for instability at times...Anyways, here is my project I downloaded and was able to run with no problems. Open it up and see if it works. If it does not, I would strongly suggest uninstalling your Dev-CPP and installing the newest one, even if you do have the most recent one. Good luck!

- Drew
now buy NEWEST do you mean the beta version? because I downloaded the one before that because I didn't want a beta
hey your file works.... what the heck.... why doesn't mine.... that's weird....

well... I'm going to try and figure out what exactly is going wrong here. If I figure it out, I'll post it back here.

thanks for all the help you guys!
SOOOOOoooo..... I never would have guessed this to be this difficult. There are not very many documentations online that go over ALL installation setps for ALL of the files you get and tell you where EXACTLY you're supposed to place the files. This is slightly frustrating because I want to get to coding, not spend countless hours trying to figure out all this stuff my trial and error. But... hopefully I can just get through this soon to get it over with and all will be fine. =)

You are putting horse before the cart. You must understand how to do all those steps before you can start CODING. None of that stuff is very hard and if you google enough you will get ALL the info you need, so get going and LEARN the "stuff"
now buy NEWEST do you mean the beta version? because I downloaded the one before that because I didn't want a beta

Ahh yes, the Beta! Not version 4. However, I am not a Dev-CPP user for the most part, so you might want to stay with what you are most comfortable with. I'm glad it works though! I can't figure out why it didn't in the first place either, but it *may* be that version of Dev, who knows.

- Drew

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement