I Need Help! Book: Visual Programming for Teens

Started by
8 comments, last by gan 19 years, 2 months ago
Ok, I am TOTALY new to this, i purchase this book and it says even though i am a beginer, i should get the gist of it. I just purchased a "Visual Basic: Programming for teens" and got it in the mail today. It came with a CD-ROM. Once I brake the seal to open it, I cannot return it. So, I need help on two things (If you have used this book): 1) Is the CD-ROM compatible with Windows XP? 2) How can i get the Microsoft Visual Basic Program on my computer, it is not on the CD. Does anyone have a link to download it possibly?
Advertisement
Quote:1) Is the CD-ROM compatible with Windows XP?

The book was published the 21st of December, so yes it should be.

Quote:2) How can i get the Microsoft Visual Basic Program on my computer, it is not on the CD.

Are you certain ? Books like these usually don't come without the requisite tools. As for a free Visual Basic compiler (off the web), I do not think there is one available.

<edit :: If you're looking for a .Net compiler, you can try here; I just assumed it was VB6.
- stormrunner
I am going to be crossing my fingers when i open up the CD...

Well, On the back of the book, it says "What's on the CD:"
- Animated sprites and tiles featured in this book
-DirectX SDK for Visual Basic
-Mappy--a level editing program
-source code from the book

Well, thats all it says, i looked in the book, and it the instruction to start is to open a Visual Basic Application.
if it has the SDK, then it should have the runtime and compiler as well.
run the SDK and see what happens

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Hmmm, it doesn't come with VB? Which version of Visual Basic does it say to use?
It doesn't say, but i think its 6.0
If it's 6, you will have to buy it unless the book comes with the Learning Edition. You won't be able to get VB6 for free :(

Don't break that seal just yet
Does 5 work the same? would it really make a significant difference. seeing how it doesn't specify...
Quote :
"2) How can i get the Microsoft Visual Basic Program on my computer, it is not on the CD. Does anyone have a link to download it possibly?"

So,
Did you have the VisualBasic ?
If not, you can purchase VisualBasic .NET Standard 2003 via Amazon.com, $89.99 (If not too expensive for you, in fact, I never buy it, it was too expensive for me).

If your book is for VB 6.0, and you has the .NET, you can still learn VB.

If you just want the VB / VB.NET compiler, just follow the stormrunner's instuctions.

Well, I hope this will help your problems ! Sorry, beacause I only can do this....
i dunno whether this will help u or not. I heard this is free(Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2005), i'm not sure whether it has IDE or not.

http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement