best os

Started by
6 comments, last by skow 19 years, 2 months ago
what is the best operating system to use for programming games? what do the pro's use?
Advertisement
Whatever operating system your game is supposed to run on.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
asking "what's the best" is BAD. it's a flamewar/religious war question. Most pros currently use winXP pro & MSVS.NET as their dev environment, and as suggested above, test on whatever platform it's for.

-me
You're asking the wrong question. The professionals use whatever is required to develop for their target market.
Michael Russell / QA Manager, Ritual EntertainmentI used to play SimCity on a 1:1 scale.
my friend said mac had better rendering, so i figured maybe games were made on macs, maybe its just the graphics
Your friend is clueless, unfortunately. Write your game on whatever OS your game is supposed to run on.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Aye, this is a very loaded question, but it has been my experience that the *nixes are more programmer friendly. This includes commercial Unixes (HP-UX, AIX, Solaris), the BSDs (Free, Open, Net, Dragonfly, Mac OS X), GNU/Linux, and even BeOS. Since they're all based off of the original Unix, they come from a long line of by-programmers-for-programmers OSes. Sadly, most game development is done on Windows for Windows. If you have Windows and a copy of Microsoft Visual Studio, use it, for it's a good IDE and what most game dev is done with. If you're feeling interesting, give a *nix a try and use cross platform libraries so your friends can enjoy the fruits of your labor.
"Donkey, if it were me, you'd be dead."I cna ytpe 300 wrods pre mniute.
As Promit said your friend is clueless.

I myself use windows as I love the VS.net IDE and find there to be better driver support.

But as said above it comes down to your target OS for development, if it runs on many use what ever you like best.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement