Sign in to follow this  
jakpandora

[web] Dreamweaver question

jakpandora    112
Hey everynone, I recently started using Macromedia dreamweaver and i have a question. I want three pictures in a row on my site, one on the left, middle, and right. However, it wont let me move the cursor over more then one space, and every time i try to align it in a different spot, it takes all the pictures in that row with it. Any way to fix this problem? I'm using a standard HTML document. Thanks for the help.

Palidine    1315
You need to make a table w/ 3 columns and put the images in their respective columns. I'd suggest that you learn HTML by using notepad, not Dreamweaver; you'll learn it much better that way.

-me

I Like Bread    630
I'd suggest that you learn HTML by using whatever the hell you want; some people need immediate visual feedback on whatever they change in order to learn. Otherwise, WYSIWYG wouldn't exist.

Sander    1332
Notepad might be a bit extreme but there are many good editors out there that work on the source instead of WYSIWYG. Heck, IIRC you can even use dreamweaver in source mode. That's what I would recommend.

If you do not want to use tables you can always position then through CSS but I have no idea how that would work in dreamweaver, either in sourec mode or in WYSIWYG.

logain    229
if your just learning html right now, learn the basics. dont think of css yet. beacuse it will use div's or (layers in dreamweaver). css adds a whole new mess of features and compliance issues inot things.

also, getting instant feed back by notepad by having the html file open in a browser. alt tab. hit F5. rendered. instant feed back.

I'd recommend FrontPage (I use 2000) if you're working with Adobe Photoshop. They seemingly go hand in hand. I'm not very found of my copy of Dreamweaver. Too many visual problems on the site, and I came across countless errors when publishing it. It's just one big headache, for me.

Sander    1332
Arggg nooo. Anything but FrontPage. You'll be tied to it forever if you start with it. You'll get horrible tag-soup wich is unmaintainable in any way except by frontpage. It's just *gross*.

If you want to try a WYSIWYG editor with at least *some* respect for the standards then you might give Mozilla Composer a try. I heared it's pretty decent.

evolutional    1393
Quote:
Original post by Sander
Arggg nooo. Anything but FrontPage. You'll be tied to it forever if you start with it. You'll get horrible tag-soup wich is unmaintainable in any way except by frontpage. It's just *gross*.

Oh so true. I don't know what the new versions of FP are like, but the older ones were horrific. Then again, I hand craft all my HTML, so anything WYSIWYG'd is pretty messy to me ;)

I Like Bread    630
Yeah, tables should be easier for you to use than DIVs. In fact, most expert web designers use them (or find a design that doesn't need their specific properties). Tables have this "vacuum-like" property that comes in handy for a number of cases, and I have yet to find a CSS definition that emulates it.