Sign in to follow this  
nucmedx-raytech

x-ray tech & nuclear medicine technologist interested in learning

I had worked as a radiological technologist & nuclear medicine technologist for many years but due a lower back problem I'm unable to work presently. I was introduced to computers in 1982 when I had to learn to process heart scans .I am interest i learning computer animation. I have read some posts already about where to begin. I read an article about basic C programming which seemed just like learning a language you communicate except you use symbols to mean certain commands. From what I have read about basic C programming at www.howstuffworks.com. It seems a combination of keys on keyboard representing commands & then a formula used to complete the command which is send to a compiler to do a certain objective. (instruction). So which computer programming language do I need to learn he basics of computer animation. I'm trying to prepare for my future because I won't be able to work doing my previous healthcare occupation ,Thanks

Start Here!

And from that you will find a handy guide - What Language Should I Use?

Basically it doesn't matter. You can do graphics with almost any language from c/c++ to java to python. Its the principles that matter not the language. Many flame wars have been fought on boards such as these as to which is better and no one ever solves the problem (mostly because no one quite knows what "better" actually means hehe). Read the intro's and pick something then stick with it is the best thing todo! Good luck and I hope you find what your after!

hmmm... it looks that you need to learn the very basics of programming...

a computer program is a series of simple instructions: the computer knows how to do very little things, ie recognises only a very limited set of instructions. But by combining those things you can do almost any operation.

for example, you may want to tell the computer to move a ball on the screen to the right. Now there is no instruction for this, nothing such as

move_ball_right

you must decompose this in simpler instructions.

How do things move on the screen?

Notice that the image on a computer screen is updated about 60 times per second (60 "frames" per second). by changing the image very fast it can give the illusion of something moving. to do a program that moved a ball you must tell the computer where to draw the ball et every single frame. That is, every frame you must say to the computer: draw a ball in this position here, and specify the position of the ball. As you might see, in one second you should tell the computer 60 times to draw the ball in a certain position. so the "code" would be

draw a ball in position (100,100) and show the ball on the screen;
draw a ball in position (101,100) and show the ball on the screen;
draw a ball in position (102,100) and show the ball on the screen;
draw a ball in position (103,100) and show the ball on the screen;
draw a ball in position (104,100) and show the ball on the screen;

where(100,100) represents the coordinates of the ball along x and y coordinates.

as you can see this code repeats a lot of itself and can be setup in a "cycle"

x=100
repeat
x=x+1
draw a ball in position (x,100) and show the ball on the screen;
until x=200

this repeats the operation changing the "x" coordinate every time. The "x" in this example is called a variable.

In general animations are made always in "cycles" and may use many variables to determine what happens. thats it, you know your stuff now!