• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
jtmerchant

How to Run a Program and Give It Data?

This topic is 4877 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm making a sort of launch program for the user to log in and patch/update their version of the game, which then launches the actual game. I was wondering how to launch the game with the information such as username/password, etc. I've considered using files, writing with the launcher and reading with the game, but this seems too insecure. What can I do?

Advertisement
The two ways that immediately come to mind are passing the username/password as command line arguments or place the username/password into shared memory. The launcher creates the shared memory, creates the game process, which opens the shared memory.

Search MSDN for CreateFileMapping/OpenFileMapping.

Quote:
Original post by jtmerchant
I'm making a sort of launch program for the user to log in and patch/update their version of the game, which then launches the actual game. I was wondering how to launch the game with the information such as username/password, etc. I've considered using files, writing with the launcher and reading with the game, but this seems too insecure. What can I do?

I would say store the file names in the registry, but make the user re-enter passwords. Just think about the security issues if you tried to store them *anywhere*. I think the safest bet is to inconvience the user just that once per update.

Or, you can update the game without needing a password. If it is server based, allow them to login afterwards to play. The design I am talking about is the one StarCraft uses. You simply connect to the server, update, then logon.

Just a few ideas.
- Drew

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!