Oscar's Pong version 0.1

Started by
3 comments, last by Slaru 19 years, 2 months ago
Hello! I have completed the first version of my first *real* game! Grab it here. It is a 3D pong game. The gameplay is very basic. You are playing against a perfect computer (named Oscar), and trying to last as long as you can. I am working on enhancing the gameplay now, but I would like to see if anyone has problems starting it up or other problems. You can post them here if you have any, or email me. Also, if you have suggestions for the gameplay, please post that too and I will be grateful. The source code and project files are also included. There is a pre-built executable in the "bin" directory. Thanks, Slaru [Edited by - Slaru on February 16, 2005 10:01:09 PM]
Advertisement
I'm just curious, but anyone tried my game? I would like to hear some feedback if anyone has.

Slaru
I downloaded it yesterday, and got busy doing other things, so please forgive the laxity.

Anyway, it's quite good. My only complaint would be that the ball is already moving before the player is set - e.g. the game begins exactly as it finishes loading, there's no time to get set. Either that, or it just runs extremely fast on my machine. However, once you get the hang of the pace, it's pretty addicting. Good to see there is someone who doesn't feel compelled to make the velocity of the ball excessively slow.

As for Oscar, I could have sworn I was going to win, except it seems the balled down just in time. [smile] Obviously the depth effect, but hey - it didn't seem to be slowing down when it came my way.

Pointless commentary summarized : good stuff.

Cheers.
- stormrunner
Thanks stormrunner. Yes, I agree that the game starts too quick. I will add a 'click to start' feature so you control when the ball starts moving at the beginning and after a point. This, and hopefully some sort of background music and sound effects will hopefully be in the next release. I use time based movement, and the speed of the ball is random within a certain range.

After the next release, I plan to start making 'levels' where the AI is actually dumbed down at first so you can actually win some points. The AI will get better as you get more points. I might also make 'lives' that are independant of the points and make the points based on other things (like beating the AI quickly, etc).

Slaru
Thanks _Acid. Yes, the bounces are straight. After I implement the more 'dumbed' down AI, I will be changing the physics around to add spin so that if the paddle is moving while it hits the ball, it will add spin to the ball, and it will curve. When it hits the walls, it will also bounce differently because of the spin. The levels will include smarter AI as you go, and faster ball speed so that the spin will be exaggerated with more speed, making it harder to hit the ball. But after this next release, including sound and better game control, I think I will be restructuring the game into classes to better facilitate AI and the levels concept (I have thought up a nice polymorphism scheme for this system that is really simple and intuitive, still working out the details though)

Slaru

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement