what to do first ? game logic or game graphic

Started by
8 comments, last by Mawww 19 years, 1 month ago
well, surfing gamedev i saw a lot a games with game logic implemented but graphics and audio not done... on my side, i got pretty graphics but no game logic at the time... well what do i think of it, what's the best way ?
Tchou kanaky ! tchou !
Advertisement
create the core engine first with simple placeholder art, then scale up when the engine is stable. Otherwise, you may find out that your artwork is not going to be acceptable later on in the process (you made 80px sprites but the new version of your engine relies on 64px sprites. Bah!)

For me, a good example is that i switched from SDL to OpenGL for graphics somewhat early on. OpenGL only works on power-of-two graphics so all my non-power-of-two graphics were bogus. If this happened after all the graphics were done, i'd be up a creek and a half.
I personally prefer todo gamecode first then graphics. Firstly its way more fun to test out your new blur functions when you can fight your friends as you do it :P but more importantly its because I'd much rather have a game I can play, than a game I can't which looks cool. I see fancy graphics as an added bonus ontop of good gameplay thats all - they're aren't actually important (to me). So it seems natural for me to get the gameplay down befor going for the eye candy. However if your goals are to write a game that looks awsome with gameplay as a kind of afterthought then seems natural to write the graphics first. Work out whats important to you then work on that ... fix the rest up later - for me thats gameplay but for you that might be graphics, just a personal preference.

Also I've found that many effects should be fit with the game ... and I can see how'd you do that without the game there to test on. Things like particle effects are very situation specific so writing and tweaking a particle engine befor you have your game seems like a waste of time as you'll just have todo it all over again when you actually play the game and see whats needed.
i just make some cheesey microsoft paint graphics to use while im making the game and do the good graphics near the end
My suggestion would be to just get some free art off the internet that don't nessarcarily have anything to do with the game you are doing and then replace them when you are cloaser to finishing.
i guess i was misunderstood. when i say games graphic i mean the code for graphics. In my engine the graphic modules is nearly done but i do not have any game logic code, for the art i use some from internet.
Tchou kanaky ! tchou !
Work on which ever is most important to you. Lots of times one will depend on the other so you will have to implement a minimum amount of both. But otherwise stay focused on what is most important.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
I like logic first, because it's easiest, and while working on logic I think "this is how I'm going to write that graphic function" Just keep an mind on the other topic so you don't only code for one or the other..

I also like to code functions I KNOW will not need to be tinkered with when I compile. In fact I have made all sorts of Defines so I can tinker with the code outside the actual game, but the functions I have written will not need to be retooled til a working model is done.
Programming a game is a very iterative process. You don't go and do the whole engine and then do some graphics. You'll do some of everything. Some componants rely on others and so you won't be able to procede until some prerequisite pieces are built, and so on.
well what i do for the moment is having my object tree with a keyboard mouse controlled object and a camera attached to it, then i code graphical things like terrain which i attach to my object tree to see what it looks like... for the game logic i just have a update function called each frame for each object in the tree but for the moment i use it mainly for updating skeletal animation...

thanks for your replies.
Tchou kanaky ! tchou !

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement