Iso grid snap

Started by
8 comments, last by Thanhda 19 years, 1 month ago
Hello, im trying to create a iso grid snap, but it doesnt seem to work 100%, it creates a 'Checkered board pattern' as in you can olny place the object(im using this for the level editor) on every other square, here is what iv got

MVec newo;
newo.x=round((Cam.x+mouseX)/GRID_SPACEX,0)*GRID_SPACEX;
newo.y=round((Cam.y+mouseY)/GRID_SPACEY,0)*GRID_SPACEY;

NewMObject(newo,selected_object);
MVec is a custom class that holds a float x,y; GRID_SPACEX is the size of the tiles X GRID_SPACEY is the size of the tiles Y(1/2 of the X) and 'round' rounds the number to the nearest whole number but like i said this creats a checkerboard pattern were items cant be placed, any ideas? Edit: and one more thing, kinda off topic but i was just thinking about it, if the tile size y is x/2, does that mean that the yspeed for an object is equal to half of what it would be if it was x? Eg Xspeed=10; Yspeed=10; X+=xspeed; Y+=yspeed; Or Y+=yspeed/2; ??
Advertisement
Oh boy. Let me tell you how hard iso is. Took me a good few weeks to get mine to work. Anyways I have some useful code I could share if you are intrested in seeing how I did it. Just let me know. I can tell you the main parts of what you need to be looking at. It's in SDL btw.
Quote:Original post by Drew_Benton
Oh boy. Let me tell you how hard iso is. Took me a good few weeks to get mine to work. Anyways I have some useful code I could share if you are intrested in seeing how I did it. Just let me know. I can tell you the main parts of what you need to be looking at. It's in SDL btw.
ok that would be great, my email is kc_0045@hotmail.com or just post it here if you dont mind everyone seeing it
Not a problem at all. Here is the project. Not the last time I worked on this as around Nov 2004. It was just more of an experiment and such. You should notice the images [lol]. Run the .exe to see how it looks to begin with.

What you need to take a look at is:

void RTS_Map::Draw() - Line 32 - RTS_Map.cpp
void RTS_Map::MouseToTile(int x, int y) - Line 731 - RTS_Map.cpp
void RTS_Map::DrawTileCursor(int x,int y) - Line 867 - RTS_Map.cpp

That is the most of it, feel free to look at the rest. You will see my algoritm to get the correct mouse tile using a tile map on the mousetotile function. It may take a bit to understand how it works, but once you do, you will see how marvelous it is [smile]. I did not come up with the original theorey, but I did make the code for it, so if you have any questions, I should be able to answer them, but I may be a bit rusty. Hope this helps.

- Drew Benton

PS I do plan on finishing this project some time in the future [lol] I just have to wait till I have the time b/c I will be writing a tutorial with it.

[edit] Fixed link [/edit]

[Edited by - Drew_Benton on February 20, 2005 4:05:53 PM]
The whole thing gets about a hundred times more complicated if the different tiles have different heights as in Tactics Ogre or Final Fantasy Tactics. I believe that the articles section here on GameDev has some good information on general iso math and concepts that might be able to aid you.
BRING BACK THE BLACK (or at least something darker)
Error Code 404: Missing File

err seems to be a bad link
Quote:Original post by kc_0045

I'm sorry. I killed my link! I have fixed it now, I forgot to append the filename [lol]. Sorry for the delay [embarrass]!

Download

- Drew

Quote:Original post by Drew_Benton
Quote:Original post by kc_0045

I'm sorry. I killed my link! I have fixed it now, I forgot to append the filename [lol]. Sorry for the delay [embarrass]!

Download

- Drew

hey your code works and all but what does it do? it places 1 tile on the left and over laps it. is it supose to do anything else?
Thanhda TieDigital Shock, Technical Director & Business Relations15-75 Bayly Street West, Suite #173Ajax, Ontario, L1S 7K7Tel: 416.875.1634http://www.digitalshock.net
My code shows how to go about using the ISO design for placing tiles and then tracking then snapping the mouse to them - as per the OP requested. If you move the mouse around, you will see how it accuratley goes into the right grid spot. If you modify the images and add a black border around them, you will see the accuracy. This was done based on a few tutorials featured on GameDev about using a BMP image to mousemap. However, it was not written in C++ so the challenge was implementing it. Here's a screenshot (of which is bad quality b/c jpeg):

Does that answer your question, or do you still need more? There is not much other functionality with it because it is not finished. It was more of a demo to get the mouse mapping correct. Here is the list of avaliable articles for reference.

- Drew
okay cool. i just wanted to know whether you uploaded the right file or not. but yeah i see the purpose of this demo
Thanhda TieDigital Shock, Technical Director & Business Relations15-75 Bayly Street West, Suite #173Ajax, Ontario, L1S 7K7Tel: 416.875.1634http://www.digitalshock.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement