Sign in to follow this  
ravenq

64bit computing and its application for AI

Just a quick question for the Gamedev community. What advantages, if any, does a 64bit PC provide for AI applications such as neural nets or genetic algorithms? I'm about to upgrade my laptop for uni this year, and am debating whether it's worth the extra money (roughly $2k with the systems I'm looking at) to invest in an AMD64 laptop (basically my current options are between a Dell 2.1GHz Centrino system or an AMD64 based system... probably from www.voodoopc.com, because I've been wanting an excuse to get a Voodoo laptop for ages ^.^) If anyone has any insight or any links, it'd be much appreciated.

Guest Anonymous Poster
If you have a single process trying to use more than 2 gigs of memory, you'll notice that on most 32-bit OSs, it can't.

Even if there is more physical store and/or swap available, it can't address any more RAM, because it runs out of address space (The OS reserves between 0.5 and 2G for itself).

So the advantage of 64-bit computing is that if you have a single process which needs to address, say, 16G of memory, it works.

Mark

Guest Anonymous Poster
isn't it that you can only effectively take advantage of 64bit addressing with a 64 bit OS? Guess no problem with linux, but win XP 64 is still beta (and drivers are rare). Besides I guess 2/4 GB ram will do it for the next 2 years and you probably need a new machine by then anyway ...

But back to the original question. I personally dont see real applications for the extra bits of precision in AI.

Also if clever coded (explicit for 64 bit) you could do 2 32 bit calculations in one 64 bit command... so double the speed with same frequence. if it is optimized for 64...

if you want the laptop for coding at university, i don't see any reason to have a 64 bit processor either, perhaps if you want to study the performance boost of a 64 bit processor against a 32 one... ;)

too many if's if you ask me :)

save the money and just buy a better pc in 2 years.

Guest Anonymous Poster
The extra bits in an AMD-64 CPU is not the only advantage. There have been fundamental changes to the CPU core's architecture as well and 32 Bit applications take adavantage of those as well.