[web] Comments please

Started by
28 comments, last by rick_appleton 19 years, 1 month ago
Quote:Original post by evolutional
What we normally mean by 'converting to CSS' is to drop all use of tables for layout(except for tabular data). Instead, we use normal xhtml elements with applied CSS styles, with the primary dividing 'cell' being that of a div. Look at the source of my homepage or Robs and you'll see what I mean.

I am so going to use your guys' pages [smile]. Now if I can only get it to work without Php...
Advertisement
Drew: what are you trying to do 'without PHP'?
VertexNormal borrowed my layout for his site. He doesn't use PHP and has said to me that making news posts/updates is a lot simpler without tables.
The site is clean, which is good.

I didn't do a very thorough examination, but I did notice that the images lacked alt attributes, I don't like downloading images without knowing what they are.
Quote:Original post by rick_appleton
Drew: what are you trying to do 'without PHP'?

A design like Oli's page, to which he said look at VN's page. I will have to do some copy paste now [smile]. I just need something clean for mt web page, which I'm using my space I get from the Univ. so that's why I can't use php. Thanks! I was able to get the design copied over and it worked great. Now time to start making my page. I will make sure to give credit to the authors [wink]
Leffe: good point, will update tonight.
If you want to drop PHP but don't want to copy paste, take a look at SSI (which has shtml files). My old, old site was running on it very good. My old (surrent) side is running PHP-Nuke but it's kind-of abandoned and I should really replace it. It's just that I have been off working on various other sites over the past year, neglecting my own.

As to the design: It looks crisp clean. The only thing I notices was that the Screenshots font-size is a little bigger that the size on the other tabs.

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

Now that I've looked at it in a graphical browser I have some more suggestions:
1. Screenshots on screenshot page has borders, get rid of them :p
2. It would be nice if you could remove all links that point to the current page in the PHP script.
3. You could generate the pages yourself with XSLT to get rid of PHP altogether.
4. And you might want to actually use the hn tags instead of p tags with css.
Thanks for the comments everyone:

- I've fixed the font for 'Screenshots', it was indeed larger.
- Fixed borders on the images on the screenshot page.
- Added alt properties to the images on the games and programs pages, but not on the screenshot pages.
- Fiddled around with CSS, but I haven't been able to get the tabs spanning the entire width of the content yet. Will fiddle some more this weekend when I have some more time.

Leffe:
- I'm not sure what links to the current page you mean? You mean that if I'm on Games that the Games tag doesn't have a link? If so, would you know a nice way to do that? I know a way to do it, but I'd have to resort to PHP.
- I don't know anything about XSLT, so thanks for the suggestion, but I doubt I'll be using that. I'm okay with using PHP, so I assume that comment might have been directed to Drew.
- You mean to use < h1 > < h2 > tags instead of < p > tags? And use < br > to create paragraphs or divs? Any specific reason for this?

Drew: I took a look in IE and it looks totally different! All my black borders are gone! But I see that the CSS version does work correctly, so it'll probably fix itself once I get the CSS right. It does indeed seem to load slightly faster in IE, I wonder why.
Quote:Original post by rick_appleton
- I'm not sure what links to the current page you mean? You mean that if I'm on Games that the Games tag doesn't have a link? If so, would you know a nice way to do that? I know a way to do it, but I'd have to resort to PHP.

That's what I mean, and the easiest way would probably be using PHP. This is one of the classic usability tricks.

Quote:- I don't know anything about XSLT, so thanks for the suggestion, but I doubt I'll be using that. I'm okay with using PHP, so I assume that comment might have been directed to Drew.

Nop, to you (or anyone :p) XSLT is great for generating pages, you can put the pages in nice XML documents with a lot of metadata and generate HTML pages with the wanted information from them. You can of course do that using a million other ways, but if the result will be XML, why not have the source in XML too :)?

Quote:- You mean to use < h1 > < h2 > tags instead of < p > tags? And use < br > to create paragraphs or divs? Any specific reason for this?

No, use h tags for headings and p tags for paragraphs. It will improve the semantic meaning of the documents a whole lot.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement