Terrain Generating With Mountains

Started by
7 comments, last by Ysaneya 19 years, 1 month ago
I try two ways for generating a terrain but i haven't any final good result yet. the methodes i use in my editor are MidPoint and a Fliquid simulation theory. The first give me unstable and noisy results, but the second generate a good flate terrain without any mountains or lacks. i can gess that i have to use a kind of thresholding with the second but i haven't any idea about that. so i want any idea about generating good terrain with the mountains and lacks if by the two methods above or any one else. thanks advanced.
Advertisement
Why not use both and do a two pass to generate the height map.
The key word to search for is "multifractal".

This technique can be used to produce flatter, smoother terrain at low altitudes and steeper, rougher terrain at higher altitudes.

As well as that, you might want to look at libnoise - a library implementing the bits required for this technique. The tutorials explain how it works, as well as how to use the library, and the images in the complex planetary surface demo page will give you an idea what you could produce.

dave j
Wow, that complex planet was pretty cool! Does it actually render from way out in space all the way to sea level looking like the screenshots?
Concerning the OP, some other techniques you might want to consider are diamond-square or summing various prodedural functions.

Summing functions can give you some very quick results, but you won't ever get jagged edges.

Diamon-square is a fairly simple algorithm that creates fractal terrain, but it doesn't always look that great.

Dave j -- Thanks for posting the libnoise. That's something that I will find very useful.
Some various tecniques are explained here, under 'Artificial Terrain Generation' (on the left). I use a variation of 'The Circles Algorithm'. There's also other useful bits of stuff on the page.

You can see an example of a map using this method in my latest demo although the track (grey pebbled parts) is added later in my editor. Email me if you have any questions.

I've got some similar results with my multifractal planet generator. My base noise function is less advanced though (and i didn't use "realistic" colors yet), so generating a 2048x2048 texture only takes like 20 seconds (as opposed to 25 minutes mentionned in the libnoise page).

Y.
That's quite nice, although it looks a LOT like a fractal image you'd see in maths books.
BTW, it took me 6s to generate a 2048x2048 map. At least I know it's not too slow now - 25 minutes!!!
They mention 25 minutes because they use a lot of functions and combine them to get the data:

Quote:
This planetary surface is generated by a combination of over 100 noise modules:
* 23 generator modules
* 52 modifier modules
* 18 combiner modules
* 9 selector modules
* plus 26 caching modules.

So yeah, theirs is slower, but also a lot more complex (and nicer i must say :)).

Y.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement