C++ or ASSEMBLY?

Started by
30 comments, last by Brandon N 19 years, 1 month ago
Quote:Original post by Mech_Master
Wish one of them is better?I dont mind being harder.And why.
Yes, you will mind which is harder.

I did this in x86 Assembly over the course of about two weeks or so. This was while learning Assembly, but I have significant experience with other languages, so don't expect the same results in such a small period of time. That was an intense two weeks. (Unfortunately no outside libraries were allowed.)

I've done something far superior with networking in Python in 2.5 days, spending about .25 times as many hours per day as when working on the Assembly example (and with frequent breaks).

Also, the Python one runs in both Linux and Windows without alteration, and thanks to its "everything included" ways, things like networking, file i/o etc really feel like a natural part of the language.
Advertisement
Hahaha I love threads like these.

Ok ... ok ... Ok I got it. Heres me:

I don't use anything other than assembly language because anything else is just slowing me down. I am currently writing my own OS for my game because I dont want windows to share my resources with other processes. I'll just put my OS on the boot sector of a floppy disk (not CD, because those arent as good as floppy just trust me on this) and then it can execute my game.

Right now I am getting like 900 fps with assembly language, but thats because I haven't been able to code anything. But once I get done I will be at least 750 fps, no way I could do that with a "modern" language like C++ or a shitty timesharing operating system.
You may be getting 900 fps, but how long has it taken you to be able to get this? How many platforms does it support? And you say that there is no way that a language like C++ could compare, but how many people are willing to not have a game boot up in windows? Most people want the system to be the "shitty timesharing operating system" because it is easier for them to use. Increased development time caused by programming in assembly slows me down. And it is just as important to get the project done as it is making it go really fast.

For me the huge amount of time that was spent learning assembly could have been more successfully used in furthering my abilities in the shitty modern languages that you apparently despise so much.
BRING BACK THE BLACK (or at least something darker)
Quote:Original post by H_o_p_s
You may be getting 900 fps, but how long has it taken you to be able to get this? How many platforms does it support? And you say that there is no way that a language like C++ could compare, but how many people are willing to not have a game boot up in windows? Most people want the system to be the "shitty timesharing operating system" because it is easier for them to use. Increased development time caused by programming in assembly slows me down. And it is just as important to get the project done as it is making it go really fast.

For me the huge amount of time that was spent learning assembly could have been more successfully used in furthering my abilities in the shitty modern languages that you apparently despise so much.
Ah, a fellow Bostonian.

Anyway, you need to reread his post, specifically:
Quote:Right now I am getting like 900 fps with assembly language, but thats because I haven't been able to code anything.

[wink]
Quote:I am currently writing my own OS

This usually means that he has been actually coding. Now, he might not have any game programming done, but this does not negate any of my previous arguments. Assembly has its uses, but those uses do not include complex applications like a 3D game.

This usually means that he has been actually coding. Now, he might not have any game programming done, but this does not negate any of my previous arguments. Assembly has its uses, but those uses do not include complex applications like a 3D game.
I'm agreeing. It just seemed that you took him seriously as though he truly was writing an OS for his game...
Hahaha ohh man you guys are dense.
Quote:Original post by Brandon N

I'm agreeing. It just seemed that you took him seriously as though he truly was writing an OS for his game...

the specific part: Assembly has its uses, but those uses do not include complex applications like a 3D game.

do you know how wrong you are ?
I say learn both ASM and C++.

Don't learn C#....it's sucks!
Quote:Original post by ZedFx
do you know how wrong you are ?

Is there a single 3D game engine that was programed all in assembly? Now I might be wrong, and if so let me know, but I can't think of any.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement