A Quick question on bones

Started by
1 comment, last by videodragon20032003 19 years, 2 months ago
I've got a question about bones. Basically what I want is to have a single set of animations; these are actions that say all human models can do. Now I'm not certain but I believe that you basically link the parts of the model to bones in the animator program and then export the model in the desired format, and then bones and model are separate and have to be linked by in game code. Is that right? Further I want to know if you can tie a single set of bones to a number of different models in game to create the appearance of single coherent model in game. Basically what I want to do is this. Have a single set of bones that contains the bone animation for all the actions. Have different character models mapped to bone animation. Have sets of the bones be for different types of weapons and then map the appropriate weapon model to its corresponding bone animation. Essentially I want to do all the animations once and then have them be reused by all models. Whether it's: Red haired guy with fists. Cyborg with sword. Cyborg with katana. Or leggy girl firing gun. The critical points are that I must be able to map different weapon and character models to the same set of animations. My knowledge of 3d modeling is rather limited, but I have done some bone animation in 3ds max a long while ago but nothing in a game environment. So I'm basically curious if what I want to do is dead easy or overly difficult and that method X would be better.
Advertisement
Hi,

If you are talking about your engine using a standard animation, or set of animations and attaching them to different models, then yes, it can be done and is by most commercial animation and modelling programs. You could set up scripts in Max to do automatic rigging as well. Take a look at RAD Game tools, in particular the Granny3D sdk. It makes animation sharing, blending a snap to do in your engine and incorporating Granny into your existing engine architecture is a snap.

http://www.radgametools.com/

Hope that helps,

J
The methods of exporting models and bone hierarchies vary from engine to engine. *I think*

Most of the things you want to do will have to be taken care of in the programming department, like when: if $var_axecarry = 1 then play anim_axecarry.dsq

As you can see, I'm not a coder.

If you do export the bones seperately, then yes, they will have to be connected within the mesh via programming. If the bones are skinned with the model, then I believe that you don't have to do anything.

I'm new to this too, so my information may or may not be valid.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement