nehegl base code runs win2k crash winxp

Started by
6 comments, last by lordcontrary 19 years, 1 month ago
Okay here is the deal... i have been using my own code on win2k for years ( opengl window under win2k ) -no problems... tested on 2 different winxp machines -crash... ------------------------------ long story short... I decided to try a test... I downloaded nehegl basecode .zip I ran the exe included on 3 machines... win2k - runs fine. winxp ( machine 1 ) - runs fine. winxp ( machine 2 ) - runs fine. I compiled my OWN .exe using the basecode... ( compiled with FREE borland 5.5 ) win2k - runs fine. winxp ( machine 1 ) - CRASH. winxp ( machine 2 ) - CRASH. ------------------------------- note: this is nehe basecode with no modifications directly from the zip IN my OWN code I get the same results... and using debugging from my own code I find it crashes on wglCreateContext() ( I am assuming this is what it does on nehe code ) ------------------------------- So my problem is borland 5.5? ( only variable left ) -not enough XP support? I say this because it appears nehe's was done under VC6? anyone else using borland 5.5 & xp? Any help at all... TIA lordcontrary
Advertisement
Don't quote me on it. but i don't think Free Borland comes with windows libraries for you to link to.
if you want a compiler and not an IDE .

check out :
http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/

this is the same compiler .NET 2003 uses. but its just the compiler + libraries.

you might be able to build with that

Thanks for the reply... I decided to try the VC++ toolkit ( been working on this for the last half of the day )

I'm glad I at least haven't wasted the day going in the wrong direction! I really REALLY wanted to avoid changing compilers but eh...

I now have the microsoft compiler... PSDK... both installed... ( I don't want an IDE ) I prefer command line ...BUT
I'm still having "fun" setting it up.

I haven't used anything but Borland for 5 years...

All env vars appear setup correct... lib, include paths...

At this moment I am stuck at the following point...

Linker is still bithing about missing parts... and I don't exactly know how to specify a "target" version of windows ( win2k XP ect )

I am still climbing the learning curve here...

help files from microsoft are giving me a headache...

Any sites out there dedicated to setting this up using the command line?

-lordcontrary
Quote:Original post by lordcontrary
Linker is still bithing about missing parts... and I don't exactly know how to specify a "target" version of windows ( win2k XP ect )

Well, you don't specify a target version. Every linker produces the same type of file, which will run on every (32-bit) version of Windows.

And yes, there is a site dedicated to setting up the linker and compiler. It's called MSDN
okay...

"Well, you don't specify a target version. Every linker produces the same type of file, which will run on every (32-bit) version of Windows."

I am wondering why again i need to dump borland at all... Borland makes Win32's ( has been for years ) but they crash under XP run fine win2000... ( see my original post )... I still think it may just be that I'm not configuring something under Borland, but searches turn up nothin'

Anyway, YES I am aware of MSDN...

The kind of site I am looking for is one dedicated to working ONLY with the free version... ( nothing more... a site that gets right to the point ) and someone who is NOT associated with Microsoft. This isn't a anti-microsoft thing... i'm just not interested in wading thru endless helpfiles my whole life... ( this is why i choose Borland to begin with years ago -I had the whole package setup and compiling in about 3 minutes - the help file they included got right down to business ) MSDN's site has endless amounts of info, but just plain gives me a headache.

...and i'm not intersted in Win32 beyond opening an OpenGL window and supporting XP... if someone has a quick guide to getting MS free compiler setup, I'll use it and be on my way.

As of yesterday most of my homework is done ( I should be compiling again after the weekend )

-lordcontrary

if you can paste exact error messages i might be able to help.

if you're having problems with MSDN i am sorry, its a great resource for me.
You should also be aware that in order to provide the MS compiler with all the API specific things it needs for full functionality, you have to download and install the Platform SDK as well.

As for Borland, it may be that some of the DLLs that were provided to you when you installed the Borland compiler (and which may be lurking in the system/system32 directories) are not binary compatible with winXP, which is a later release than win2k, updating your system DLLs with the platform SDK may fix this problem.

Along the same lines, make sure you have the latest versions of the opengl DLLs available on your XP machines - sounds like you may find your problem is not having the latest redistributables on the XP boxes.

Check the dates on:
opengl32.lib/opengl32.dll
glu32.dll
glut32.dll
glmf32.dll

The libs and the DLLs have to be compatible since the libs are the stubs that point to the functions contained within the DLLs, incompatible versions will point to unknown areas within the binaries which will cause you to crash.

[Edited by - comservlant on February 20, 2005 11:35:14 AM]
Well, this just an update from the original poster...

Okay, The problem still existed after numerous changes...

updated PSDK
updated .dll's, lib's ect:...

I went over code numerous times...

Finally I became disgusted and bought Borland C++ Builder6

Why not VC++ ??? ( hey i like borland... let's start an argument, they both looked good -I picked one. )

So I got the NeHeGl code to compile and run on BOTH Win2k & WinXP.

I used the borland specific convertion...

I then converted my own code... it was simple... end result my code now works under both OS's...

The ONLY thing needed to fix this problem was to include vcl.h to my code...

WHY does wglcreatecontext() suddenly work? Beats me... I have not looked into it. It does not work under XP without the header.

I would investigate, but I am 2 weeks behind now... and eager to code once again.

If anyone is bored... and figures out why -drop me a line... at least I found an answer ( after 80 dollars I did not need to spend... )

Eh... I was going to purchase a compiler soon anyway.

Later lordcontrary

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement