Sign in to follow this  
CoderGuy

Glut API vs WIN32 API

CoderGuy    130
My friends and I are going to make a medium sized game next year and a medium sized graphics engine for it. We are planning to program it in OpenGL using C or C++ (Not sure which one to use, we know them both) because we want it to be cross platform. Can we use the Glut library in place of Win32 effectively? If not, what do you recommend?

x_gamer_x    136
I wouldn't recommend GLUT. It's what I started out using on my most recent project and it lacked a lot of features I needed. I would recommend using SDL, which is what I converted to using and it has everything I need including keyboard/mouse input handling.

CoderGuy    130
Well, we'll be using Python to do the game logic. Do you feel that we should use SDL as well? This project is mostly a learning experience taht we all can learn from. Thanks for responding x_gamer_x.

GamerSg    378
Glut is not updated anymore, however there is a project similar to glut called FreeGLUT which you might be interested in. It has more features but is compaitble with GLUT. There is also GLFW which is really simple to use and supports a wide variety of platforms.

Gorax    202
It all depends on how you're used to doing things. If you prefer to have all of the events processed within a single function (like the Win32 API), you'll find SDL quite to your liking, however, if you would prefer to split them all up, then GLFW would be the way to go. I haven't seen, nor used FreeGLUT, so I can't comment on how that works, but if GLUT's anything to go on, then all of its event handling is also split up. I personally prefer to have all of the events passed off to a single function, since you may want the same thing to happen for multiple events, which could get a little annoying if you have to copy and paste code all the time. ;)

schlinge    122
SDL (Simple Direct Media Layer) is a very place to start. Wont give you any big performance drawbacks and it's cross platform.
Even a lot of commercial engines use this for porting etc.

/martin