Basic 3D Engine Questions

Started by
3 comments, last by Null and Void 23 years, 5 months ago
Well, now that I''m on my way to getting a 3D engine working, I had a couple of questions . How would you suggest I do a sky? Any good tools for warping a texture to make it display correctly if you use a sphere, or do I not need to? If I draw an object without rotating anything, can I be sure that it will always face the viewport? (I think this is true, but I haven''t had much time to test it) Thanks in advance, if it matters any I''m using OpenGL. Null and Void
It is an inexperienced programmer who speaks of the length of his works.
It is an experienced one who speaks of the briefness.
http://www.crosswinds.net/~druidgames/
Advertisement
skyboxes are easiest for that type of thing. that''s what quake 1 and 2 used, don''t know about 3. for your second question you need to find a tutorial on billboarding. just search flipcode for a tutorial. I''m sure they have one.

JoeMont001@aol.com www.polarisoft.n3.net
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
Quake1 didnt use skyboxes, just a flat scrolling texture (on faces of a box in some maps), although the released code had skybox support from when id started testing Quake2 features in there.
-----------------------"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else's drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack
how exactly does a skybox work, anyway? I want to set one up for d3d...I suppose you just make a giant texture-mapped cube, but this seems sort of clumsy (i.e. it''ll clip walls that are farther away than the size of the box). Anyone have any ideas?
------------------------------*Large explosion consumes building, hero walks away unharmed* (wtf? why?) CUT
Hi,

Solarbeam ... you don''t need to make a "giant box" =) you simply turn off your zbuffer, render the box, turn it back on and draw everything else. So even if the box is 1x1x1 in size it will still "look" behind everything else.

Rick

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement