Now what Language

Started by
8 comments, last by dmikesell 19 years, 2 months ago
Hey, I am currently 16 years old. I bought Delphi 5 when i was 11-12 and played around with the IDE for awhile. Than i got into VB and have been coding with it since then. So ive used VB for roughly 4 years. My question is now what? Ive used several other languages but havent got into any of them like i have VB. I'm currently reading my 2nd c++ book(im using vc++ 6). Should I port to Vb.net? Should I get really good with c++? Or should I just learn c#? Any help would be appreciated. Jordan Weber www.pheonixsoftware.com
Jordan Weberwww.pheonixsoftware.com
Advertisement
You should learn either c++ or c# in my opinion. .NET languages may be the wave of the future but i love my c++. I personally would reccomend c++ over c# simply out of preference, but as i said, .NET languages may be the wave of the future

hope that helps
-Dan
When General Patton died after World War 2 he went to the gates of Heaven to talk to St. Peter. The first thing he asked is if there were any Marines in heaven. St. Peter told him no, Marines are too rowdy for heaven. He then asked why Patton wanted to know. Patton told him he was sick of the Marines overshadowing the Army because they did more with less and were all hard-core sons of bitches. St. Peter reassured him there were no Marines so Patton went into Heaven. As he was checking out his new home he rounded a corner and saw someone in Marine Dress Blues. He ran back to St. Peter and yelled "You lied to me! There are Marines in heaven!" St. Peter said "Who him? That's just God. He wishes he were a Marine."
I've spent the last few months learning the syntax for c++. Whats the next step? All ive done with c++ is console applications. Should i learn how to make guis in c++ or should i go straight to dx/opengl. From what ive seen c++ appears to be used moreso with console apps and than games. Ive found little gui applications from c++(is this correct?) Thanks
Thats definitely not the case, as far as commercial games are concerned c++ is the weapon of choice. I don't reccomend doing GUI's with c++ though as frankly, c++ aint very good for it, if you do go get GTK or wxWidgets. Instead i say you should go learn OpenGL (i personally found D3D to be too hard when i just started c++ (simply because of vertex buffers and all the pointer dereferencing and such just kinda confused my poor 14 year old (at the time) brain)) OpenGl on the other hand, doesnt make you mess with vertex buffers when you begin, instead you have the option of using immediate mode, which is a great testing tool even later on in OpenGL development. This is not to say D3D doesnt have its merits, i love it as well, but i simply prefer OpenGL myself (opinion, not flamebait) and find openGL to be much more begginer friendly. Actually, one other option for you would be SDL, which is a great API for first learning to program games in c and c++ as its very simple and allows you to do 2d graphics easily, and 3d graphics when combined with openGL

hope that helps
-Dan
When General Patton died after World War 2 he went to the gates of Heaven to talk to St. Peter. The first thing he asked is if there were any Marines in heaven. St. Peter told him no, Marines are too rowdy for heaven. He then asked why Patton wanted to know. Patton told him he was sick of the Marines overshadowing the Army because they did more with less and were all hard-core sons of bitches. St. Peter reassured him there were no Marines so Patton went into Heaven. As he was checking out his new home he rounded a corner and saw someone in Marine Dress Blues. He ran back to St. Peter and yelled "You lied to me! There are Marines in heaven!" St. Peter said "Who him? That's just God. He wishes he were a Marine."
Ok so once i am comfortable with console applications i should go straight to graphics? Personally i think ill go DX because i am very comfortable with it from VB's DX SDKs and ive never used OpenGL. The SDL you talked about reminds me of.. BitBlt from the windows API. Comparable? Any good websites on DX for c++?

Thanks for the Help
msdn is probably your best reference, as for getting started http://www.gametutorials.com used to be a high and mighty source of tutorials for both d3d and openGL but now many of them GASP cost money... i believe the beggining tutorials are still free though. As for SDL and BitBlt i do believe most of the drawing uses blitting, but since ive never actually used SDL myself ive just heard great things (i will soon start using sdl for initialization though)

also: http://www.ultimategameprogramming.com/ is also a great source of tutorials

hope that helps
-Dan
Thanks for the help.
If you are used to VB, go with C#. It is somewhat like C++ and also what VB and Delphi should have, or could have been. The same person that developed Delphi for Borland also is the chief architect on the C# .NET project.

It simply has a good flow with Windows GUI programming, a nice IDE, a great form builder, and a nice integrated help utility. You are familiar with all of that from VB and VC++.

Best of all, you can pick up the whole Visual C# .Net package for less than $100 from Amazon.

Google vegaseat and look at some of the Csharp code snippets I parked on DaniWeb.

[Edited by - vegaseat on February 18, 2005 10:53:12 AM]
Thanks for the input ill have to check it out. From what ive taken from this.. Use VB/C# for Windows GUi apps and use VC++ for most of my gaming?
What kind of games are you wanting to write?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement