No BLT with DX8?

Started by
82 comments, last by Gazza 23 years, 4 months ago
I never liked BLT butties anyway...
Paul Grovespauls opengl page
Advertisement
quote:
WinME is buildt out of the win9x kernel.. so why wouldnt DX9 run on Win98? WinMe is Win98TE(Third Edition)

i would wager to say that even though ME comes from 9x kernel, there are significant improvements (well, there has to be, right?) that make some features incompatible.

when i upgraded i found that the version of norton AV i had didn't run, then i checked the website. it said "doesn't run under Me, please uninstall BEFORE installing Me". that helps, thanks.

also, many game demos don't run, the one i was most disappointed with was carmageddon 2000 alpha. but hopefully that will be fixed by release.

crazy166
some people think i'm crazy, some people know i am

Edited by - crazy166 on November 17, 2000 10:14:57 AM
>>> now it''s dictating to me the way how i MUST do it. Not for all, of course, (thanks to God) but for things as lighting and 2d.

Actually, they are giving you MORE control, via vertex and pixel shaders.

Utilizing the shaders, you can effectively do ANY type of nifty effect you want (check out nvidia''s developer site for some good examples.)

For shading especially, check out the normal map docs.

Thanks,
Etnu

Sometimes I think I know what I really don''t, but then again usually I do know what I don''t, but just don''t realize it, maybe its because I am so young, but then again it could be because I am insane.

---------------------------Hello, and Welcome to some arbitrary temporal location in the space-time continuum.

Well I suppose I''ll manage somehow with dx8 sprites. I''ve still got some problems though:

-I spent ages writing my own raster font engine. It works by testing for red lines in the source BMP which separate each letter. Do I now have to lock the surface and do some wierd stuff to do the same as the GDI''s GetPixel?

-What if I don''t want to render my font to the back buffer. I''ve got a console, and I want it to have it''s own surface (sorry, texture), which the console text is drawn to only when the text changes. That way every frame I only have to render the console surface to the back buffer, not re-draw every character every frame.

and BTW: is anyone going to bother using the new DInput config UI thing? What were they thinking of?! You can only change the basic colours, how is it suppost to blend in seamlessly with the rest of the game''s UI?

Frank

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement