Simple ODE Example / Tutorial

Started by
12 comments, last by dexterace 19 years, 1 month ago
After accepting the fact that creating a physics engine for a game is a slightly complicated task for a n00b I took a peek at the ODE stuff. Problem being that it does not come with an example on how to set up a basic collision / gravity scenario :-( And there do not appear to be any tutorials available on the web (Yes, I have looked) Are there any sources that anyone knows of which could get me started on the very basics of ODE? Thanks in advance for any help :-)
__________Michael Dawson"IRC is just multiplayer notepad." - Reverend
Advertisement
Hey! I was in the same boat last week.

If you download the ODE source (not the bin releases), and extract it, you'll find all kinds of demo code in the
ode 0.5\ode-0.5\ode\test\ directory.

I found them to be quite useful.

Hope this helps!
I was wondering where the source for those Demo's were ;-) Although when I run them I get an erro because cannot find "cygwin1.dll" ...

I'll check out the sources.

Thanks a lot dude :-)
Does anyone know how to unzip a .tar.gz in windows? I have winace, winzip, winrar, and PowerArchiver installed and none will open the zipped file with the sources from ode.org :-(
winrar always does the job for me regarding .tar/.tar.gz archives.
Ya, I use WinRAR for pretty much everything but .7z archives. It opens up .tar.gz just fine for me here.
Free speech for the living, dead men tell no tales,Your laughing finger will never point again...Omerta!Sing for me now!
Quote:Original post by Spudder
winrar always does the job for me regarding .tar/.tar.gz archives.

Same here. On that note xyuri, make sure that the file type is registered to WinRar so you can easily double-click and open it. Once you do that there is another archive that contains all the files.
I downloaded a different source from the ODE site which seems to work much better...

I have found some examples which are a little confusing to me, but I'll go through them tonight and see what I can make of it.

One thing is for sure, I'm writing a tutorial for n00b's when I get through this all ;-)

Thanks guys.
jakem3s90, I just cant seem to make any sense of what they have written in those examples ... There is bound to be a much easier way about it ... all I want to do is have a box that falls! Would you maybe be able to provide me with one please?

Thanks,
Michael D
Which compiler / IDE are you using? Also, which graphics API are you using?

I might be able to send you a some code to help you get started!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement