Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stani

making Dialogue SEEM natural...

stani    122
I was just thinking......making an NPC respond like a human during dialogue seems next to impossible, but just a predefined database of answers doesn''t cut it anymore...any ideas/tips/tricks on how to make dialogue seem natural...stuff like remembering responses comes to mind,... Tell me your opinions on how to do it, people!

[bobafet]    122
Perhaps you could do something with the mood of the NPC. For example, he/she could have 3 different moods: angry, normal, happy. Then for each of your replies, you have a value of either angry, normal, or happy. Then for the pre-defined dialog for the npc just have 3 sets of dialog; one for angry, one for normal, and one for happy. This might not be the best way, but it would work pretty good =]

- Ian Perez (fett@willcomp.com) - "It is by will alone I set my mind in motion"

http://www.willcomp.com/majick - Majick Studios

sys    122
Have your AI break down each segment of user speech to get the basic nouns and verbs. Check this against a database of existing knowledge to find existing matches against the nouns (first), then the verbs. This allows for smooth conversation by continuing on a similar topic for a bit, then randomly stumbling onto a different topic through the links in each sentence.

You can find more details about language parsing and presentation from a lot of sites. If need be I can do my best to explain it here.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
This is something I am much interested in learning about as well, I made this sort of "chat" program some years back, but that just used predefined sentences and responses, it worked at times and was great entertainment for people beliving at first they were actually chatting with someone, but it was too easy to discover it was not a real thing.

The "bot" you are talking to should also have some sort of stats, and perhaps interests? What I''d love to do is have something that has a sense of humor, can be ironic and try to kiss your ass.)

Just having a huge list of words and phrases and being able to combine them based on previous input is a start, but words and phrases mean different things when uses with differnt words and different responses.

Perhaps some sort of learning period for the "program" you chat with? You could tell the program if the response it made , made sense. But that would limit its freedom. the program should be allowed to not make sense, just like most humans at some point don''t make sense.

Then, when we''re finished about worrying about a two part converstation, what when we add 10+ people A chatroom emulator would be cool to have.) Every person could be assigned values based on what they think of other people, who they like, what their interest are, and then you coul sit and watch them talk, and add to the conversation yourself if you feel like it.